We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Sangria?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
476 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Best Sangria?

i just read Shambro's day 3 trip report and it got me thinking.

Where is the best sangria?

Best mojito? (the frozen one at CoMoNo sounds like a must try)

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Sangria?

My favorite mojito is at the Cuban restaurant, El Varadero.

The best sangria in my opinion used to be at Portofino, but they closed :( I'm going to guess Mama rosa my have good sangria since it is the same owner, but I haven't tried it there yet.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Sangria?

If you find good Sangria anywhere in the region please let me know; my wife loves Sangria but has given up on ordering it. Even at well-respected restaurants On Isla, Cozumel and the mainland she has been served a glass of red wine with lime juice poured into it, which has been completely non-potable.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
315 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Sangria?

I don't know about sangria, but for me, th best mojito I've ever had in my life is Vivians at Cubano. I wanted a second but I felt guilty ordering it because she put so much work into the first!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Sangria?

Alot of sangria's in Mex are made with just lime juice or aide and wine. Maybe ask first if it's homemade, meaning a "recipe". I know this isn't too relative and maybe unbelieveable but Red Lobster has a very, very good sangria offered in the warmer months.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,337 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Sangria?

Best Sangria I've ever had (besides my own concoction lol) was at French Bistro. 60 pesos a drink or 180 pesos for a large pitcher that held 6-7 drinks in it. Served in lovely, heavy lol, hand blown glasses with big chunks of fruit. :-)

Edited: 9:49 am, October 10, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Sangria?

Portofino had a big container of home-made sangria filled with fruit, and it was so good, not limey :)

I'll have to try French Bistro's next time.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Sangria?

Wow, actual fruit would be nice. On the other hand, the look on Michele's face the moment she took her first sip of "sangria" at Especias on Cozumel is not a sight I shall soon forget. Remember the "bitter beer face" TV commercials? She did a pretty good impersonation.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
670 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Sangria?

Sangria from the French Bistro. Actual fruit in the container and the glass. We really enjoyed the sangria here.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Sangria?

Now that looks like a proper sangria, Shamro. When I show this to Michele she will pencil in the French Bistro for a meal on our next trip.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Sangria?

French Bistro! I am not even a big fan of sangria and I loved it :).