We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving in 9 days!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Springfield...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Leaving in 9 days!

Me and my partner have been counting down the days and we're almost here. We leave the 11th! So, documents, bags, everything packed. Car transfer arranged through USA Transfers. Hotel reserved at Avalon. Maps and travel guides all prepared. Everyone here has been so helpful in helping us plan and prepare, and now I have just some last minute concerns I'm positive you folks can helps us with.

1.) Should I exchange some USD for pesos before we leave at my bank? If so, how much would I need for two people for a week.

2.) I've been monitoring the forecast diligently! I am so worried that we are going to be rained out the entire time. Now, I know no one here is a meteorologist/pyschic, but does anyone whose been there, or is there, have any idea to what we can expect for weather?

3.) This last question is really just a free for all! Any tips on good locations or warnings are appreciated!

Thanks againt everyone whose helped us plan our trip! I will be sure to return with plenty of memories and picture and a lengthly review for all of you!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,479 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving in 9 days!

We usually bring just enough pesos to pay for the ferry, tips, and any small incidentals until we got to Isla. Once there we use our ATM card for pesos. Right across from the ferry dock on Isla is the HSBC bank which is where we usually go.

It is rainy season so it's to be expected. All day rains for several in a row are of course possible but unlikely.

Don't miss renting a golf cart and driving down to Punta Sur. Pay the small admission fee and walk down the pathways to the water for some very dramatic and beautiful scenery. As for warnings, you're going to be hooked and planning your return trip before you even leave. Consider yourself warned :)

Have a great time and looking forward to your pictures and report!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving in 9 days!

You didn't mention who you bank with--in our case, we're BOA customers and our one shot at an ATM with no fees is the Santander ATM across from immigration at the Cancun airport. So we always make sure to hit that one on our way in because yes, it does help to have pesos right from the beginning. After that, we use the HSBC ATM because at the bank they can retrieve a card that the machine has eaten. It happened to my father on our last trip.

Don't fret about the weather. Most of the forecasts are really for Cancun anyway. Besides, there's nothing you can do about it so don't stress about things you can't control.

Have an overall game plan about what you want to do, where you want to eat, etc., but feel free to improvise. It's fun to walk down Hidalgo and just follow your nose to dinner. It's a bit like Bourbon Street in that regard. And keep an open mind--many places on Isla don't look like much from the street but serve wonderful food.

Lastly, just relax and have fun! Until you get back, at which point we will begin pressuring you to share all the details.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,328 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving in 9 days!

Money..I agree with TNY's plan…money for the ferry, tips etc. I use my leftover pesos from the previous trip and either ATM or take cash and exchange when I get there..all depends.

Weather...I only know November weather and it rained every day for 5-10 minutes often with a beautiful blue sky..1 day of an absolute down pour..that was it. I didn't care..I'm on holidays! lol.. :-)

Bourbon Street..sorry, still (and will always) disagree on that one LOL..I’ve loved my trips to New Orleans/French Quarter but Hidalgo does not smell like urine, vomit, horse poop, stale booze LOL. There’s no seedy strip joints, boob flashing etc. but there is some great live music though. :-)

Golf cart rental…go exploring…just driving around different streets without knowing where you are is really fun! :-)

Have a great trip! :-)

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving in 9 days!

Have fun James!

5. Re: Leaving in 9 days!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 15, 2013