We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live From Paradise

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Live From Paradise

Arrived on Isla at approx 7:20pm.

First stop: Ballyhoo's for Mixed Ceviche, Fish Tacos and Margaritas even before going to the hotel.

Next stop: Dessert: marquesita on our walk on medina to the hotel.

Next stop: the hotel to check into the room

Next stop: Angelo's for a beer and a wine for my wife.

Next stop: Comomo for a frozen mujito

Next stop: taqueria medina for taco al pastor

Next stop: walk on the beach

Next stop: back to the hotel and ready to crash for the night.

Tomorrow's plan in the morning: Contoy with Captain Tony.

PS. I love this "freekin' place".

Do you hear me WIBS - "I love this freekin' place" LOL

Edited: 1:03 am, September 28, 2012
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Live From Paradise

We ran out of time so didn"t (Found the apostrophe - #2 key) make down town PM. I think you guys are right, to fully enjoy, you have to go down to the village.

We leave tomorrow morning at 3 30. We will be heading off to bed early tonight.

Last night here, eating the mediterrean buffett and then off to bed.

Talk to everyone soon.

I still dream of Isla.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Live From Paradise

Back home now. Had to get up at 2:45am to catch the 6:00am flight. Got home to Houston at 8:00 am and flew through a lightening storm which was really interesting. Came straight to work (where I am now). Will be heading home in another hour. Guess where I'm going when I get home???????

Will be writing a full trip report with pictures over the weekend. Had another wonderful time in Mexico.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Live From Paradise

Glad to hear it. It's a little hard going from the beach to the office, though.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Live From Paradise

Wow, no way could I that, lol. Go straight to work like you did :) Can't wait for the trip report and pictures.

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Live From Paradise

Yay! Trip reports! You have me a little worried about PM though. Starfish's post made me feel better, we're staying in town at Amar Inn.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Live From Paradise

We watched a House Hunters International last night that we had TiVoed recently--a Canadian couple buying beachfront property in PM. I couldn't help but watch with a few TA comments in mind, like, yes, there is seaweed on the beach. But I think your happiness on vacation is more up to you and the attitude you bring than it is the specifics like whether there's a little seaweed in sight. I'd still take a week in PM over a week at work, so I wouldn't worry about it, Heather. You'll have a blast.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,150 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Live From Paradise

Glad you're home safe and sound! Looking forward to the trip reports and photos. :-)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Live From Paradise

Heather: sorry if I sounded overly negative on my first reaction concerning PM, but you have to realized that in our minds we had just left our favorite spot in Mexico, so anywhere we would have gone would have always come up just a little short.

The beaches did have a little seaweed on them, but again we had just left Playa Norte, one of the best beaches we have even been on. We went out to the reef in PM and the water was awesome, and had a great experience.

We had a blast in PM and I know you will too. I apologize if my first reaction to PM gave you some apprehension. You will have fun.

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Live From Paradise

Don't worry about it at all. I know we will have a fabulous time there. I appreciate everyone's honest opinion after all most of the valuable information on this site is opinions. I can certainly appreciate the convenience of AIs but I like to visit all the local businesses and we will be staying right in or near (I think) town. So I imagine my experience will be totally different. I am so glad you were able to snorkel at the reef, I am really looking forward to that. We are also planning on taking a bus to Playa del Carmen for a trip and/or visiting Cozumel but who knows, we may not be able to leave PM. I didn't think your post came across as negative but rather that PM is not what you expected or hoped for. I am very much looking forward to reading your trip reports.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Live From Paradise

Heather, staying at an AI in PM is not the PM experience. You will be fine staying at Amar. I stayed at Suites Arrecifes, a little further north than Amar. I had good snorkeling at a spot off the beach called Ojo de Aqua, and of course, the reef.

The town is small and very quaint but I had a great time and I traveled solo, no problem. Habaneros is the Gringo bar, but lots of fun and open quite late. They also had good food.

Edited: 8:50 am, October 04, 2012