We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres

I spent April 4th thru the 11th in Cancun and I took side trips to Isla mujeres(two days), Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel. This was our 3rd trip to Cancun and we wanted to see more of the area. Of all our travels Isla Mujeres was the best.. We will be returning in Dec. for 2 weeks. There are plenty of places to stay on and off the water. My fave beach was playa norte and there plenty of places to eat and drink.The snorkeling is best on the south end at Garrafon but the island has plenty of boats to take you out for this. I have been diving and snorkeling from Cozumel for years and I don't think you can find it any better Isla mujeres.. The best meal we ate in seven days of rambling was Lancheros on the south end. The catch of the day grilled to perfection in an open air waterfront restraunt.. It doesn't get any better!! Cant' wait to get back in Dec. Steve in Va.

norwalk ct
Level Contributor
499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres

good for you,isla is great,changeing fast but still great.if you like to fish check this out.www.wax-n-wane.com a one of a kind barracuda bash to help the local fisherman put a few dollars in there pocket.if you like the fish you ate,just think of catching barracuda and eating them.

Pasco, wa
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres

We were there April 2,3 4 and loved the place. We stayed at the MarYSol and it was the best $40 a night place we have ever stayed at. It is about a halfe mile down the beach from Lancheros and yes the tixnchic is to die for good. We had no bad food on Isla and ate everything from street food to nice restaraunts. This isla is truely a gem and won't stay that way for too many more years before it becomes too much like Cancun. We are already saving to go back and next time to stay longer.

Skiptown

Denver,CO
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres

Hi Steve,

Great Insight on Isla Mujeras. My family (5 of us) are staying at the Mayan Palace near PDC the last week of June this year. I wanted to take them (kids 20, 18 & 14 never have snorkeled outside of a pool) on a great snorkeling trip. i was thinking Cozumel's Fury Catamaran trip but didn't know if Isla might have better reefs to see. Don't want a crowded snorkel place. I'd like a "Party boat" type atmosphere with GREAT snorkeling. Do you know of any company's names that I can look up? Or should we just go to Playa Norte and snorkel?

Counting down the days in Denver.

Tequila Eric

New York
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres

Dude....quick question. By any chance would you happen to know how much are the moped rentals?

Boston
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujeres

Eric,

There is a cooperative of boat captains (they hang out just north of the ferry dock) who will take to an area called the lighthouse, not far at all and which is really first-rate and very easy. You'll love it, and then you will want to get certified as a scuba diver. Happens to everyone (or to me, at least!).

Pasco, wa
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujeres

If you want a truly amazing trip, contact Captain Tony; ask anyone downtown and you will find him, or get the MapChic maps and he's right there. From all I have heard (and in my experience!) there is Captain Tony and then there are the rest.

Tony is nothing short of amazing. Take the Isla Contoy trip with him and you will enjoy an incredible day trip to an uninhabited island. On the way to Isla Contoy he will stop on a reef or two. One of our group called it "the best snorkeling I have ever had". Then you go to a place that is a true paradise.

While Tony and crew cook your lunch (fresh fish, marinated chicken, rice pilaf, salad, and the most awesome guacamole EVER!!!) you get to explore the island then eat a great lunch... then you get to snorkel some unbelievable reefs, small islands, and bay.

A truely life changeing day, all for $45 US each. Not to mention the company, the boat, the beer, the iguanas. the hermit crabs, and Captain Tony and Brother Mario, true gentlemen and sailors. It's a CAN'T MISS!!!

Denver,CO
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Mujeres

Skiptown,

Wow, thanks. He looks like the best thing going for a fun trip. What time does he leave? I'm taking my wife and girls over to Isla for the Dolphin Discovery (haven't booked it yet) and wondered if we could fit Captain Tony's trip in too the same day. We're driving up to Cancun from PDC in the morning to catch the ferry over to Isla. Do you think we can do both?

Thanks again.

Pasco, wa
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Mujeres

We left at 8:45 am(actually 9:00am because some people were late). We did not get back until around 4:00pm. I think they try to get back around 3:30 pm but we were all having such a good time being the only ones on Isa Contoy that it was a bit later than normal. I doubt you could do two things in one day, we were too happily tired from the snorkeling to have done much more. I believe we hit the first place with food and cold beer and reflected on the day.