We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Advice on snorkeling...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Oregon
4 posts
Save Topic
Looking for Advice on snorkeling...

My friend and I are staying in Cancun and plan to take a day trip over to Isla Mujeres. Mainly for the snorkeling (and maybe a few hours sunbathing). I'm reading that taking a boat tour from the island is the best way to see some of the reefs. Anyone have some good ideas that won't be an all day trek on the boat but not just a 30 minute snorkeling allotment? If you could also throw in where to catch these boats - would be great! I saw Garrafon park is mainly dead, not many live fish, ugh! PS - We're trying to be easy on the wallet. THANKS!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Advice on snorkeling...

Get to the ferry terminal at Gran Puerto Cancun in Puerto Juarez. Take the ferry over to Isla. Walk off the dock and turn left at the sidewalk. About 30 steps down on the waterfront on your left is a small concrete building/shack occupied by one of the snorkeling boat cooperatives. They will help you arrange a $20 USD snorkeling trip out in one of the lanchas beached right there on the downtown waterfront. I suggest you have them take you out to El Farolito, a reef near the small light house at the entrance to the harbor. You will have passed the area on your right as you come over on the ferry.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,585 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Advice on snorkeling...

And if you want to check out a place online, check out Aqua Adventures - we did a snorkel trip with them - was $20, and last about 1hr-1 1/2 hrs - was great fun. Capt Tony also does snorkel trips and is famous for his trips to Isla Contoy, but that would be an all day adventure. Here is the website for Aqua Adventures: http://www.diveislamujeres.com/ Their business is located on Hidalgo, near some great eateries! :)

Oregon
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Advice on snorkeling...

Thank you, thank you! All the information is VERY helpful.