We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather First two weeks of September

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
los angeles
3 posts
Save Topic
Weather First two weeks of September

I have been following the weather channel regarding Isla Mujeres everyday and so far it seems the weather is getting worse and worse. I am going to Isla to celebrate my 3 year anniversary and I'm concerned... does anyone have some more news or that can let me know if I should reschedule my trip? My Dates are from Sep 4-10 and we are staying at PA... Please advise! I'm freaking out....

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather First two weeks of September

I beleive the weather channel only goes out 10 days?

SK
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather First two weeks of September

First, take three deep breaths.

You booked during rainy season, so some rain will likely fall. Next, stop looking at the weather sites. They *always* predict rain at this time of year. Look for percentages. Anything at 60% and under will likely mean a popup shower at some point in the day. They don't last long and are actually refreshing. Keep an eye on this site:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

This will show you any active weather in the Atlantic and chart the path of any tropical disturbances. At this moment, none are predicted to come near Isla.

I hope you thought to buy trip insurance if you're worried about your vacation being wiped out.

There is a very good chance you will go and no weather will interrupt your vacation. Read, read, read, and be prepared.

Enjoy your vacation.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
112 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather First two weeks of September

There is no way to know what the weather is going to be like on Isla that far out. If you are looking at rain percentages, well this is the rainy season. Just because it says there is a 70% chance of rain does not mean that it will rain all day. I would buy travel insurance now (you cannot buy it after the hurricane is named).

I agree with checking up on the above site...good at tracking some bad weather in the Atlantic.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,112 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather First two weeks of September

I agree with the posts above: it's impossible to predict that far ahead and there's no way to reassure you that the weather will be perfect. As said, it is the rainy season so it's likely that you'll get some showers. All-day rains are unlikely, but again, possible if there's a tropical storm.

los angeles
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather First two weeks of September

because there is rain... does it mean that it will still be sunny? Will we be able to enjoy the beaches?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,112 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather First two weeks of September

Yes, like I said, it's hardly likely to have all day long rain unless you get a storm. I can't see it raining every day, all day, for seven days. So relax and stop worrying :)

Glendale Heights
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather First two weeks of September

I've never heard of buying trip insurance after you've already booked your trip. What site/company do you go through for that?

texas
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather First two weeks of September

What website are you on that's already showing the forecast for September?

los angeles
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather First two weeks of September

@SummerVacations

accuweather.com/en/…240363

I know i should relax but... havent had a vacation in so long that i want it to be enjoyable tothe max... lol

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather First two weeks of September

Here's a web site where you can purchase travel insurance. This is not an endorsement, but Travel Guard is perhaps the largest provider.

http://www.travelguard.com/

Julia, don't worry. We travel in September every year--in fact we'll be on Isla Sept. 1-8. In more than a decade of visiting the Yucatan, I can hardly think of any activity on any trip that has been affected by rain. Last year we had one rainy night, but that only gave us an excuse to hang out longer at the Villa La Bella bar with Curtis. Other than that it's been 15-30 minutes of rain and then right back to sun.

Edited: 2:25 pm, August 23, 2012