We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Journal+Pics 7/30 to 8/4. Very serious warning!!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Journal+Pics 7/30 to 8/4. Very serious warning!!!

We just got back from our trip from 7/30 to 8/4 and we absolutely enjoyed every minute of it. I did try to keep a journal and take pictures during our stay (Link at the end of this post). We will definitely be back.

I do have a word of caution for those of you planning to visit the island that I did catch a very serious infection during my visit. I don't know exactly where or when but it seemed like as time went on the worse it got. Luckily it didn't get really bad until it was time for us to leave. It was so bad that I didn't even want to get on the plane on the last day. Once I got back I had to immediately visit my doctor and he was able to immediately identify the issue. He said it was called "Mujerism". He said my body was in shock from leaving such a beautiful place with fresh air and blue water and returning to the big city so soon. The body needs time to adjust. They called a company down there and they're going to bottle up some of the island air and I have to breathe it for a few hours a day. They're shipping me some of the blue water and I have to pour it on me a few times a day. The doctor said I should be alright but he suggests that I get back down to Isla Mujeres ASAP. I'm going to call my insurance company this evening to see if they cover that type of "Medical treatment"

Heres a link to my Journal with pictures. 6 Pages, click on the pictures to enlarge them.

http://www.mypicstop.com/islatrip/?p=80

Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Journal+Pics 7/30 to 8/4. Very serious warning!!!

lol

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Journal+Pics 7/30 to 8/4. Very serious warning!!!

hehehe...

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,024 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Journal+Pics 7/30 to 8/4. Very serious warning!!!

What a great way to post a Trip Report--I loved that your narrative went right along with the pictures. Although that aerial shot of the Avalon made me think they had raised the height of the hotel since the last time I saw it.

And be careful, Mujerism has been known to go chronic. My wife and I will be seeking treatment soon.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,146 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Journal+Pics 7/30 to 8/4. Very serious warning!!!

LUV your report!! Thanks for writing.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,024 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Journal+Pics 7/30 to 8/4. Very serious warning!!!

Also nice to see Jorge let you do a bit of fishing on the way back from the whale sharks. We were trying to think of a way to lure my parents out to the sharks (telling them they won't be getting into the water even though we will make a push for them to do so) and getting some fishing in may be just the ticket.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
309 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Journal+Pics 7/30 to 8/4. Very serious warning!!!

Great report! I experienced Isla for the first time in a very similar way...just hubby and me...for 5 glorious days. Now I'm addicted, my kids have been, and ever time I go, my stay is longer.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Journal+Pics 7/30 to 8/4. Very serious warning!!!

Thank you!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,648 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Journal+Pics 7/30 to 8/4. Very serious warning!!!

Lol, scared me :) great trip report and loved the pictures. Thank you,

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Journal+Pics 7/30 to 8/4. Very serious warning!!!

Great presentation!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Journal+Pics 7/30 to 8/4. Very serious warning!!!

Thoroughly enjoyed your trip report.