We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Work In Progress Trip Report/Travel Blog

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Work In Progress Trip Report/Travel Blog

I'm starting to post my ridiculously long and probably boring trip report that I've been writing daily. You'll have to scroll to the first entry and read backwards if you'd like it in order:)

http://islamujeres2012.blogspot.mx/

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
45 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Work In Progress Trip Report/Travel Blog

Loving the review! My husband and I and another couple will be arriving on 5/5. We've been looking forward to this trip for a very long time. We stayed in Cancun last year and visited Isla. We decided we loved the little island so much that we had to stay there this time.

I'm wondering if you can tell me the approximate length of the cliff walkway in Punta Sur. I fractured my ankle last weekend and just wondering if it might be too much for me. Are there places to sit and rest?

I'm a pretty "tough old bird" as my husband says, so I will do whatever I can to not miss out on anything!

Thanks again for posting your review.... thoroughly enjoying it!

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Work In Progress Trip Report/Travel Blog

Great blog! Thanks aruba! Your boys are adorable.

chicago
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Work In Progress Trip Report/Travel Blog

Just finished reading it. Great report! I always consider it lucky that I write down on a scrap of paper where and what we ate every day. Looking forward to more.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,340 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Work In Progress Trip Report/Travel Blog

Love the blog, Aruba, thanks. And ITA, your boys are just the cutest :) Can't wait for more!

Rhoadesmom, I really wouldn't advise it with a fractured ankle. Parts can be very slippery from the waves and parts have uneven surfaces. Save it for next time.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Work In Progress Trip Report/Travel Blog

Great report--thanks for sharing! And yes, I had to scroll backwards because otherwise would be cheating. How annoying about the kitchen items--what good is a kitchen without any dishes? And I had to laugh about not understanding the telephone recording--most of my Spanish centers on menu items. I tell people I speak Restaurant Spanish.

Strongsville, Ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Work In Progress Trip Report/Travel Blog

Loved your review!

We too will be staying at the Avalon in August and your review was very informative!! Your recommendation would be to e-mail them in advance to let them know I will need the kitchen equiped for 4? We were told the complimentary beverages were only from 12 to 4. You were told 8:00a.m. to 4:00? And if I understand correctly, you can get complimentary coffee from the restaurant in the morning?

It looks like you didn't get to spend much time at the beach at the beginning of the trip. Hopefully, that changed. How was the beach? I know it changes.

Thank you for all the wonderful information!

Oh - and it was not boring at all!!

Edited: 2:18 pm, April 22, 2012
ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Work In Progress Trip Report/Travel Blog

We are hanging out in the room now, but Caleb is using my netbook with my trip report so I can't add more yet. I'm not sure how long the Punta Sur walk was, but I'd avoid it with any ankle injury or kids that aren't old enough to be very careful. There are places that I avoided with an 8 and 9 year old. There are places to sit, but some of the steps are steep and railings broken in many places and it gets wet.

As far as Avalon, I would have a list ready and hand it to them when you get there. I don't think they'd actually have anything ready for you, but you could try. The rooms were clean other than mold on the couch (which isn't really clean, is it?) and they were huge. Our penthouse at Ixchel is much smaller, but much homier and nicer. I will try to add the last couple of days tot he blog as soon as Caleb is done! As far as drinks, you can get juices and coffee starting at 8. From 12-4, you get free alcoholic drinks. There is also a 15% discount from the restaurant which makes things pretty reasonable since the drinks are free. The beach is small but nice. I don't like music at the beach and found the music across at Fenix a little annoying, but not too bad. We loved King's Bath-I don't think I posted about that yet.

ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Work In Progress Trip Report/Travel Blog

I got one more day posted:)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
138 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Work In Progress Trip Report/Travel Blog

Love your reports! We have stayed at Avalon twice and at Ixchel in a penthouse once. Going back to Ixchel in November and opted for an ocean front unit this time. You will LOVE Ixchel. No comparison IMO with Avalon. Spiral stairs get easier/less intimidating as the time goes on!

Arvada, CO
Level Contributor
199 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Work In Progress Trip Report/Travel Blog

Thank you! I love your reports! We are staying in the same unit this summer (at Ixchel) with our daughter. We were at Ixchel last year, but in the other section, and as part of the hotel pool. We are pretty low maintenance, though, and don't think it will matter much that we're not part of it. Anyway, your boys are so cute. Looking forward to more. :)