We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Last time we went to the Yucatan, we hired a local woman to help with our baby for a few days. She never gave us a price and insisted we came up with one. I'm pretty sure we were way up there by her insistence to come back .....

I've looked on the web for the answer to this question but no luck.... What is a typical hourly salary for a Mexican worker? I've read that some people work for no wages, tips only (like grocery baggers) but couldn't find any indication of the average wage.

We are going back to IM in a week, this time with 3 kids under 5 (call us 'loco'!) and would like to hire some help again. I read on the forum that Tiffany from Barlito's may have some contacts. We are curious in the meantime to have some insight on what would be a fair wage to give these ladies.

If you have any others or stories to share about babysitting, please do!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,574 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Some people make as little as 50 pesos to 100, per day. I heard that the average maid makes about 10 - 12 dollars a day. That may be wrong, but that's what I was told.

Here's a recent quote on minimum wages that have just been raised:

"MEXICO CITY -- Mexico's minimum wage commission set the increase for 2012 at 4.2% for all three of the country's geographic zones, slightly above the rate of inflation expected for this year and next.

The Labor Ministry said in a press release that the increase brings to 62.33 pesos ($4.60) a day the minimum wage in zone A, which includes Mexico City. The minimum wage is slightly lower in other geographic zones."

…wsj.com/article/SB1000142405297020341330457…

Edited: 6:12 pm, March 24, 2012
BC Canada
Level Contributor
95 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

I have met a few servers in the resorts we have stayed at. They are making 5-7 dollars a day, plus tips. The driver from our transfer said he was making 14 dollars a day, plus tips. Maybe this will help a bit! Bottom line......they are not payed very well and are the hardest workers I have ever seen in my life!

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

If you get a recommendation from Tiffany, ask her how much you should expect to pay.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

The average wage in Mexico is around 12,000-13,000 USD a year. It obviously varies a lot by region (for the state I live in it is double that).

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

I can see paying the going rate for a permanent full time job. But for a day or so, ask yourself what it's worth to you. This may be the only job the woman gets this year.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Well, all I'll tell you is that last time, we paid 3x what you are quoting as the daily wage for 3 hours worth of work! Even at 40some dollars a day, we'd still think it's a bargain. Wow, thanks for your response. Very enlightening.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Some things are not worth getting a 'deal' on IMHO.

I'm afraid this is going to sound harsh. But if you find someone who takes great care of your chldren, wouldnt you gladly pay them more than they are used to receiving? and an amount that you are happy to pay? Because she seemed pleased with your payment, you feel that you over paid. I don't get it.

I really hope I've misunderstood your inquiry.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

I'm very glad I misintepreted your intentions. Your last post was not there while I was writing.

My humble apologies.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Since we came up with the price ourselves (she would not tell us how much she wanted), we had no idea how much we should offer, so we based it on a Canadian standard. What I was trying to say in my perhaps clumsy way (this is not my first language) is that even if next time, we paid a lot more that what people are quoting on this thread as the daily wage, that would still be affordable. I guess I shouldn't have used the word 'bargain'.... Didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just curious to know what the service usually goes for to get a point of reference.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the usual hourly wage in Mexico?

Point taken, gatine, as I said I am glad that I misunderstood your post.

As MD in Texas said Tiffany from Barlitos would be a great resource for you to find someone on Isla that you can entrust the care of your children with. She lives on Isla and has small children.

My english is clumsy and it is my first language.