We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heard of Hotel Marina Isla Mujeres?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
MN
Level Contributor
960 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Heard of Hotel Marina Isla Mujeres?

We go to Isla every year (for about 6 years), but this year are planning on staying at this hotel. Has anyone heard of it? There are only 2 reviews that we could find. We usually stay at Garrofon de Castilla as we like to be away from North Beach for the quiet and are not fussy about accomodations. I just am looking for any knowledge of this place!

Arvada, CO
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Heard of Hotel Marina Isla Mujeres?

Hi, I have been going to Isla Mujeres and staying at this hotel for 10 years. It was fine until three years ago. A new owner took over and he has changed it into an outdoor restaurant and does not put anything into the hotel. As a result, the hotel has become rundown and not maintained. I last stayed there last summer and was very disappointed in how it had degenerated. The new owner pushes the restaurant and many boats come over from Cancun on day trips, so from 11:00 am until 2:30, the beach is packed with day trippers from Cancun. The nice, quiet, secluded beach is no more. In the evening several boats come over for lobster dinner on the beach, so you don't even have the beach to yourself in the evening. Sorry to give you such a dismal report, but you need to know. I am going again in May and I am going to try the Cristal Mar Hotel and Beach Club which is just down the road from the Hotel Marina Isla Mujeres. Good luck.

Arvada, CO
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Heard of Hotel Marina Isla Mujeres?

Hi,

Just checking in to see if you received my info on the Hotel Isla Mujeres on the Sac Baha peninsula. If you need more info let me know as I have intimate, detailed knowledge of this hotel. By the way, if you end up staying somewhere else, you may still want to have lunch here as the new outdoor restaurant has a wonderful, cheap buffet. It would also give you a chance to see how busy it gets during the day from the many catamarans coming over with day trippers for lunch.

oak park, IL
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Heard of Hotel Marina Isla Mujeres?

after checking this hotel out on a few forums

we said nix. where have you stayed that you would reccomend for a few days (with pool and frig)? thanks and enjoy your trip.

Arvada, CO
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Heard of Hotel Marina Isla Mujeres?

I have only stayed at Hotel Marina Isla Mujeres most of the time. I stayed at Cristal Mar Hotel and Beach Club twice. Once was wonderful and once was terrible. The terrible time was post-Easter during a traditional Mexican holiday (which I didn't know existed at the time). I am returning to the Cristal Mar next month. The trick is to go when the Mexicans aren't celebrating something, then you essentially have the run of the place to yourself. They have a beautiful pool and nice beach. Good restaurant. Nice rooms but the furniture is somewhat uncomfortable. Also, be aware that Garrafon is closed right now due to the hurricane. If you want to go snorkeling, go to the northwest tip of the island where the entrance to the inlet is, not far from the light house. It is one of the best snorkeling places in the world. Also, I recommend eating at Rolandis Resort and Beach Club next door to Dophin Discovery. It is a little expensive, but not bad for lunch. Have a good trip!