We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report-long. Day 1 and Day 2

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report-long. Day 1 and Day 2

Greetings from Mexico! We left Omaha Nebraska on the 22 of January. Our flight was overweight and we were told that our plane was overweight and needed 3 passengers to get off or we weren't going anywhere. They offered a flight one hour later and a $400 travel voucher. So the apple of my eye and I got off even though they only had one travel voucher left-2 people had already gotten off. We left my sister and brother in law on the same flight and would meet up with them in Houston on our connecting flight. As they were creating our new boarding passed, i asked our guy "that's first class right?". He just laughed. As we boarded the plan, he jabbed me with his elbow and said "I got you into first class". Good start to our vacation. Our plane arrived 35 minutes early so we ran into my sister and brother in law right away. Next flight was right on time and the next thing you know we were in Mexico! When we were waiting in line at immigration we saw my other sister coming from Minneapolis! We all breathed a sigh of relief and some women in line behind us who were ALSO sisters let her cut and get in line with us. Could this trip go anymore smoothly? I forgot to mention green lights all around at customs. We go outside and look for our transfer guy and can't find him. Finally we do and we are on our way (35 miles per hour through stop signs even). You all forgot to mention that to me. It seems like the ferry is there immediately but maybe it wasn't. The cute little guitar player on top sang Fulsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash. We get our little bicycle cart guy and head to Posada del Mar. I have already fallen in love with this island at first sight. We got checked into our rooms with the front desk guy who was nice. Then we head to Jax to feed the picky men in the group. The men both had bbq chicken which was just grilled chicken (no bbq) sauce and it was very good. I had the fish and chips which were soggy in the middle but the fish itself was delicious. I can't remember what sisters had. Denise had a dirty colada which was good and Traci had a key west best (drink) and it was good too. After dinner we headed back to the hotel and sat under the palapa bar as we have done everynight so far. Oh I forgot to mention to MNHasSnow that I had the banana nutella marquesitas for dessert. YUM. The cheese ones are very good too. BUT the strawberry margaritas at Posada are delicious. We met Romi (sp?) and Lea another bartender at Posada who is adorable! I also met Raoul who is, I believe, the owner of hotel D'Gomar? We sang La Bamba together. He was my new best friend but unfortunately we haven't run into him again. He is quite a character and we had a LOT of laughs that night. One time (later in the evening) when I tipped Lea, he said gracias and I said dinero instead of de nada. So everytime I see him we laugh over it. He will periodically walk by us clutching fistfuls of money saying dinero, dinero. Did I mention that he is adorable?

We went to bed early that night because we were all tired from not sleeping the night before from excitement and early flights. The weather here has been absolutely perfect in our opinion 80s during the day and 70s at night. It has never been cool.

Day 2

My sister Traci and I got up at 4 am (this has become our routine) and sat down by the pool and visited. Brother in law, Dan goes for a very early run around town. Some things about Posada del Mar, stay is friendly if you are friendly, beds are fine, water pressure is fine. We are in the new building and have safes and refrigerators in the rooms. The rooms are clean and the maids are wonderful. They come in the afternoons.

We had our first breakfast at Alexia and Giovanni's and it was excellent. So we decided each morning to work our way down and eat at all 4 stalls. On this day Traci and I had the huevos motulenos. And I can't remember what everyone else had. I also tried the jamaica, orange juice and watermelon water.

After breakfast, we stopped by Captain Tony's to book a trip to Contoy. My sister Denise and her husband Dan did not bring flippers and Captain Tony loaned them 2 pairs so we could learn to snorkel before contoy. How nice is that?! So we went on to avalon to practice. We loved it! I thought we might have to pull Denise out and force feed her because it seemed that she would not ever come out of the water.

Later that afternoon we ate lunch at Brisas Mexicana. My food and Traci's was okay. Denise, Dan and Gary loved theirs. Their Pina Coladas were excellent though. Then we walked around town for a while and then back to Posada bar while we waited to get hungry again. That night we went to Taqueria Medina and had the al pastor tacos and the barbacoa. The barbacoa tacos were my favorite food so far.

There is sunshine calling my name and my sisters and brother in law are leaving in 2 days so I have to go but I will try to post more in a couple days if I can find this place again. It costs $20MX in case anyone wants to know and it looks like it is by some kind of municipal building on Guerrero.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,336 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report-long. Day 1 and Day 2

We love it when a first-timer comes into the forum to plan a trip, then takes time out of their vacation to share the details. It's as close as it comes to planning a trip ourselves.

Glad to see everyone hooked up easily at customs--we had a feeling it would go smoother than you thought.

Aren't the huevos motulenos at A y G fantastic? One of my favorite breakfasts in the world. Can't wait to see which other restaurants you'll try. I have my fingers crossed for a couple of them.

I also hope you have a golf cart tour day planned--so that you can see the rest of this wonderful island. Short of that, since it's Friday you might want to head down to Villa La Bella for happy hour tonight--it's mid-island on the Caribbean side. You could take a cab as well. Say hi to Curtis & Ashley.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report-long. Day 1 and Day 2

Thanks so much for checking in with a "live from" report! Love every detail so far and can't wait for the rest. Sounds like you're having a great time and that's so wonderful :)

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report-long. Day 1 and Day 2

Glad you checked in. There were rumors of too much tequila being the culprit! I read that it was raining HARD today. Hope it has cleared and you have a great remainder of your trip!

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report-long. Day 1 and Day 2

Yay for you! So glad you're having a great time. I feel like I'm there again with your great details. Carry on with your adventure! Thanks for posting. :)

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report-long. Day 1 and Day 2

Yes, in fact it was raining while I was typing this. I hope it goes away soon but it´s good for my trip advisor friends so I will have more indoor activities planned. Please don´t pray for rain though, we have a whole other week here. I forgot about Villa la Bella for happy hour and I don´t know if we can make it. Can we go there anytime¿ Sorry can´t find the regular keys on this keyboard. We have a lot of meals to cover next week. We have had a golf cart tour and we also went to XEL HA and Contoy so we have been of the island for a couple days. Last night as we were coming back on the ferry from XEL HA we all agreed that we couldn´t wait to get back to our island. More to come, I just came to show Dan where this place is so he could use the computer and thought I would check in while here. We ate at Mininios for lunch today and don{t know where we are going for dinner. We loved the huevos motulenos at a&g and I also had them at the 2nd or 4th stall. we haven{t eaten at stall number 3 yet. I will be post our photos shortly after we get back.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report-long. Day 1 and Day 2

Try to get to VLB happy hour tonight if you can. It's from 5-7. First, it is a BLAST. Second, there is an off chance that country singer Craig Moritz might be there! :)

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report-long. Day 1 and Day 2

Oh....just seeing the "mexican keys" you are using makes me smile. Have fun.

Taylors Falls...
Level Contributor
764 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report-long. Day 1 and Day 2

We are just an hour north of Mpls. It is pretty cool that is where your sister is from.

We also will be newbies at Posada Del Mar, in October, and I am so afraid my trip report will be the same as yours!!!

Great report and keep bringing it on. We're hanging on your every word.

Have a great time, which is like saying enjoy winning the Lotto! Do you love Isla so far?

BC
Level Contributor
263 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report-long. Day 1 and Day 2

Was Craig Moritz making a music video in Centro today by chance?

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report-long. Day 1 and Day 2

Marco, I believe he was. I think he is fiming 2 videos. One was on a pirate ship offshore and one on the island