We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Day 1

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Day 1

Rather a low key day to catch up on our sleep after being u8p for 24 hours. Weather cool and cloudy at a high of 73. A little cool to be lying on the beach

After our nap we went down to Cafe del Mar. Marguerita and Cerveza with some fabulous fresh guacamole. Followed by a caprese salad for me and conchinita pibil for DH. (we will compare it to the same at the mercado on sunday, which I am sure will be better as this was rather salty)

We then strolled the town. There was a big display set up to celebrate the Virgin de Concepcion.

We went for the Mayan buffet for dinner which was so so, some good dishes some just plain awful.

After dinner back to cafe del Mar toes in the sand listening to some great music, a very young four piece band doing some great Santana. The crowd there seemed to really enjoy it to and they will be back here next tuesday. I wished people would have been up dancing but no one was so inclined.

We did take a walk over to La Luna but there were no signs of it being open but I am hoping it will be this week for some dancing

One questiion, Anyone know where Mirtitas is located? I would like to buy some fresh milk for my morning coffee and I think I read wednesday was the day for that.

This morning we are off to wal the malecon and watch Isla come alive. Today is supposed to be 86 so we will spend the day relaxing on the beach

Just being here makes me feel so happy and alive I am already glowing!

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Day 1

I am an early morning person too. Sounds like you in Isla mode allready, enjoy the sights and sounds of early morning Mexico..

17 more days for us until we land in paridise and feel the warm winds of Mexico..Enjoy your day..

Safe travels...jimmy

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Day 1

Mirtita is on the corner of Juarez and Madero (I think). The entrance actually faces the intersection. Great little store!

The Norte that blew through should be going away, so hope you have warm weather the rest of your stay!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Day 1

Mirtitas is located on Juarez, but I'm not sure of the cross street (Abasolo or Madero ??). It will be on the southeast corner of the street.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Day 1

Mirtitas is on the corner of Juarez and Bravo. Walk south down Juarez four blocks. It will be open, it opens at 7am.

nikkid37
Level Contributor
354 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report Day 1

Enjoy your trip! Glad u already have your Isla glow!!!!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,863 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report Day 1

Thanks for the "live from" trip report :) Can't wait for the rest!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,211 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report Day 1

Even at 73 degrees, I wish I was there! We live for these reports, especially during the colder months. Thanks for warming me up this morning.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report Day 1

It was 59 degrees on the island this morning, according to a friend. I experienced that last January, along with strong Norte winds. It was terrible. Since hotels/condos/houses have no heat and lots of ventilation, it was the same temperature inside. Talk about snuggling deep under the covers to get some sleep!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report Day 1

Dinner buffets are not that good..Go eat at Satay...Not traditional Thai but still some interesting choices and they will take great care of you..Start with a sushi boat...Finish with some fried ice cream and capps with baileys...Enjoy!!!

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report Day 1

We found Mirtitas but no fresh milk which was what we were after. The lady said they don't get it in anymore because its too expensive for mexicans to buy. No big deal I can live with the boxed sterilized milk for my coffee.

Weather is much improved far hotter on Day 2

Glad you are enjoying trip reports