We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit--Not Our Last!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
First Visit--Not Our Last!

Just home from our week on Isla, and I now GET why you are all so mad for it!

The vibe: the only point of comparison I can come up with is Key West in the 70's, and that's not quite right because Key West lacked the Mexican flavor(s). By the way I know "vibe" is archaic, but so am I. The Islans know they are living in Paradise. Maybe that is why they are so unbelievably NICE.

The beauty: I have been researching this trip for months. I have bought books. I have read thousands of posts. I thought I was prepared. HOWEVER. My first look at the coastline by Punta Sur had me CRYING for heaven's sake. Crying. Heck, I have wet eyes now as I remember it. The west coast golf cart ride is right up there with my top five vacation experiences -- ever. Playa Norte. Punta Sur. The Maker of the Universe had a very good day.

The food. There is nothing I can tell any of you. We never had a bad meal. DH who is a picky eater was shoving all manner of concoctions down his gullet and making little appreciative noises and licking his fingers. One question I have is why Compadres is NEVER mentioned here. We loved their fish BEST, and we ate LOTS of fish. Our most memorable breakfast was at Da Luisa where we met and had a long, wonderful chat with one of the owners who showed us around. We will be staying at the "other" Ixchel next visit. It is perfect for us.

So here I sit on this 40 degree morning looking down on my wrinkly suntanned fingers and to my left at a grey sky and barren trees, and all I want to do is take a nap and dream of Paradise ---lost.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the planning/preparation for a memorable week we will never forget.

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit--Not Our Last!

Wow! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait for my first trip. Where is Compadres?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit--Not Our Last!

Beautiful post.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit--Not Our Last!

Glad you enjoyed yourself and yes, now you know what a wonderful little community Isla Mujeres is. When visiting Isla one feels as if they are living there for a week as opposed to occupying a hotel room. The Islenos themselves are to be credited with creating such a warm, welcoming environment. Even more so then the beauty of Playa Norte or Punta Sur, the thrill of swimming with whale sharks, or the abundance of wonderful, affordable food, it's the people of Isla (both native and transplants) that I miss the most during the other 51 weeks of the year.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit--Not Our Last!

I ask too, where is Compadres?? (Thought I knew Isla but have no idea where this place is)

So happy to see you "get it", Isla is indeed a special place! Our friends and relatives cannot understand why we keep going back, it has a draw that is hard to explain unless you have been there.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,348 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit--Not Our Last!

I agree with Sunny&Bright; that was a beautiful post :) So glad Isla capture your heart as it had so many of ours. Thank you for posting this!

Houston
Level Contributor
132 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit--Not Our Last!

Compadres used to be Bucaneros. Across from Rolandi's.

We just got back last night from staying at Ixchel for 6 days. I'll post more later but we loved the trip... had a wonderful time and got to know a few people while there. Our kids make it easy - they're extremely friendly so they take care of teh introductions for us.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit--Not Our Last!

Did Bucaneros change their name, or is this a completely new business? Restaurant only or complete hotel? Anyone?

I haven't eaten there but we were curious what a $35/night room got you. We asked to see a $35 room and they were very accommodating. And BTW they were the smallest hotel rooms I've ever seen, but the location puts you right in the middle of Hidalgo. I'd embrace that if I were staying there and even ask for a room with a balcony overlooking Hidalgo. Kinda makes me laugh when reviewers complain that the hotel is noisy. Did you not know where it was located?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit--Not Our Last!

ah, Isla sucks another in . . . easy to do! great report - thanks! :)

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit--Not Our Last!

I too am curious about Bucanero/Compadres. I LOVE the breakfast at Bucanero and it's fun to sit there and watch the island wake up in the morning.

Thanks for posting, sounds like definitely another Islaholic has been born!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
877 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Visit--Not Our Last!

I thought I read that Asia Caribe moved into the Bucanero location??