We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report-September Honeymoon part 3

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
251 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report-September Honeymoon part 3

ok, lets see, where was I... Saturday started with breakfast at VR. While I've mentioned that I wasn't thrilled with the dinners we had there, I loved breakfast. Always felt like we had about 4 waiters totally devoted to serving us. Great coffee, fresh orange juice--icy cold, a fresh fruit platter, the most wonderful pastries, and then the entree of choice each day. Really great! Chatting with one of the waiters, led to a plan for him to take hubby out fishing... possibly today or tomorrow. (When he had to put it off to Sunday, he called and had one of the other waiters find us at the beach to let us know! we were impressed!) We tooled around the island on the golf cart for a while, stopped by El Sol to top off the gas, before heading back to VR where we planted ourselves on the beach under a couple of palm trees. spent the afternoon reading and relaxing and taking dips in the clear blue sea when we got warm. Lunch was snacks from the hotel--a veggie sandwich for the hubby and chips and guacamole for me. Oh, we also popped down to the spa so I could book a little treat for me while hubby was fishing on Sunday.

A shower and a little siesta and we were off on the cart for dinner. (In case you haven't figured it out, we LOVED having the cart all week and definitely used the heck out of it. Believe me when I tell you we got our money's worth!) Anyway...we headed for Bally Hoo, recommended by new friends we met earlier in the week. The absolute best fish and chips I have ever had--including in England! Hubby feasted on stuffed grouper which he loved. We had a great time visiting with our server, Wilber, and as with most of the places we went, we were almost the only people there so he had time to chat. Again, this meal was outstanding--and at half the cost of the VR dinners. One more cruise around the island before heading home for the night. As we cruised along the carribbean, a friendly guy walking his dogs waved to us from across an empty lot. The next day, we found out it was Ariel, one of our pool waiters from VR. He recognized us as we rolled by!

another day down...we were really feeling the relaxation and loving the laid back pace!

Sunday, we were down to breakfast early so hubby could be ready to go fishing at 8. Hubby took off with Genner for the piers and docks of Isla, I found a shady spot by the pool with my book to wait for my 10 am spa treatment. Headed to the spa a few minutes before 10 where I was greeted by the spa staff and met my therapist. She was wonderful and the 90 min combo I had selected was GREAT.... left the spa and back to the room to find hubby was back and HUNGRY. Grabbed my hat and we were off for lunch and a spin around the island. I loved how the days just ran together--i am actually having a hard time reconstructing some of the days...One thing I realized that I forgot to mention-- before we left we connected with a guy who lives on Isla who helped us with info about fishing and such. Jimbo connected hubby with a fisherman named Jorge and we ended up going by to see their rental property which is gorgeous.

falling asleep at my computer...the rest will have to wait...

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report-September Honeymoon part 3

I am so enjoying your trip reports. I am going to Isla in 119 days with my sisters and spouses for the first time. Keep them coming!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report-September Honeymoon part 3

Boy, I'll say you got your use out of that golf cart! Wilber also waited on us at Bally-Hoo recently; he's the one who arranged the purchase of some of their great tamarind sauce. I'm a BIG Bally-Hoo fan.

Morton, IL
Level Contributor
935 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report-September Honeymoon part 3

Loving your trip reports SO much! I feel like I'm right there with you!!

I arrive next Saturday for a week with the girls & can hardly stand the wait. But you'll get me through til then! Thanks for the therapy!

nikkid37
Level Contributor
354 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report-September Honeymoon part 3

Bally Hoo you are making me SO hungry! Having just returned I am not sure how I can wait another year to be back but reading the trip reports sure helps!!!!!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report-September Honeymoon part 3

Wonderful reports and I love how detailed they are :) We also rent a cart for the week because there's just nothing like being able to go where ever, when ever.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report-September Honeymoon part 3

Superb reports!

I was planning on being on Isla now myself...not happening :(

But at least I can get a little 'fix' through your great reporting!

Gracias

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report-September Honeymoon part 3

Aww, that's too bad, ILNK. Sorry your trip didn't happen :(

new jersey
Level Contributor
714 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report-September Honeymoon part 3

Great reports! I really enjoy reading them! What was the name of the rental that you went to see?

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
251 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report-September Honeymoon part 3

meant to say this before ... the rental is Casa Roca Caribe, www.casarocacaribe.com. Jimbo and Karen are the owners and they are awesome. They live on the island which is great so you aren't renting from an absent landlord. house is gorgeous and we can't wait to stay there!

new jersey
Level Contributor
714 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report-September Honeymoon part 3

Thank you. Congrats on your wedding! Many years of happiness to you and your husband.

Edited: 11:23 am, September 29, 2011