We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Isla Mujeres for us?"

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
701 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is Isla Mujeres for us?"

Looking for somewhere to spend 10 days around Easter 2012 - We like to stay somewhere that isn't too touristy but isn't too isolated - Generally spend our days on the beach - hubby goes off diving and then re-joins me for lunch etc. Like to have a condo where we can make our own breakfast & snacks but like to go out for dinner and an evening stroll. Have been to Mexico numerous times liked ZIH and Akumal - Cancun not so much. What do you think/suggest?

Alabama
Level Contributor
758 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Isla Mujeres for us?"

I personally think you would enjoy it, as I have in the past. I stayed there on the island for 7 days for scuba diving a few years ago and just loved the coctelerias for lunch/dinner. You'll get to know the island REALLY well in 10 days, as it is quite small. Good luck!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,850 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Isla Mujeres for us?"

I do think Easter is a busy time, but that is probably true all over Mexico, not just Isla. I think you would love Isla, but then I can't imagine most people not enjoying it. You might check it out a bit more - get a map and check out their website . . . www.cancunmap.com :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Isla Mujeres for us?"

"somewhere that isn't too touristy but isn't too isolated - Generally spend our days on the beach - hubby goes off diving and then re-joins me for lunch etc. Like to have a condo where we can make our own breakfast & snacks but like to go out for dinner and an evening stroll."

I don't usually copy such a lengthy quote, but you just described Isla to a t! It's a small island, with a small village, so it's very low-key and you'll definitely know your way around after a few days. You can walk to just about any downtown restaurant and will feel safe doing so at any hour. It's one of the best food destinations I've ever visited. I would advise hubby that the diving is not Cozumel, but it is available. With 10 days, you'd have time for day trips to the mainland or even to split your time between two area--my next trip includes Cozumel, Akumal and Isla.

Do a bit of reading on this forum and you'll start to get a feel for the place. I know it was reading this forum that attracted me to Isla in the first place (ok, the presence of some 35-foot whale sharks helped as well). Feel free to ask any questions--this is the friendliest forum I've ever visited on TA!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
701 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Isla Mujeres for us?"

Thanks for the quick responses! We thought that it would be a bit busier over the Easter period but still manageable. We debated IM in February and Roatan at Easter but decided to do it the other way around as Semana Santa in Honduras is really BUSY! I think the diving will be ok - he plans to go to the mainland for ceynotes one day and maybe to Coz one day too. DMartin216 I notice you are from Chicago - who/where do you fly from? My husband may be flying from Chicago and we'll meet in Cancun.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,109 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Isla Mujeres for us?"

Yes it'll be busy but it's a fun busy :)

If you would like to stay in a condo check out Nautibeach Condos and also Ixchel Condos. Both are on Playa Norte, one of the nicest beaches on Isla. They're next door to each other, both have pool, restaurant, and bar. Which to pick depends on your taste: Ixchel is sleek and modern (also newer) while Nautibeach is more traditional and tropical.

I don't know if you meant Cozumel as a day trip but count on about 3 hours to get there.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Isla Mujeres for us?"

I fly American out of O'Hare (my miles are with them). They offer nonstops to Cancun, which is nice.

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Isla Mujeres for us?"

Easter is busy on the island - the entire week before and for several days into the next week. I was there just after this past Easter (arrived on Tuesday) and it was still hopping but not overwhelming. I heard from friends that had been there earlier in the week that it was busy but not unbearable.

I would suggest you book early though as the "prime" rentals book up early, especially Nautibeach and Ixchel that TNY mentioned. Those two would be my choice as well if I was wanting to lay around the pool and beach all day or stroll through town while my husband was off diving.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
880 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Isla Mujeres for us?"

On Isla Mujeres, check out the apartments at Color de Verano also. Maybe 30 yards from the beach and wonderful hosts.

Boston
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Isla Mujeres for us?"

You've just described our own 2012 vacation, only we're there for carnival instead of Easter. We stay at a condo--Nautibeach, on Playa Norte--hubby (me) has an early breakfast in the condo and then goes diving (Carey Dive Center) and rejoins wife and daughter around lunchtime. Followed by beach or nap, then a stroll into town for drinks and dinner. So, to answer your question, yes, absolutely.

ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Isla Mujeres for us?"

We were on Isla the week before Easter. It was busy, but not too busy. We spent 10 days on Isla and 6 in Akumal and are spending our entire 2 weeks on Isla this year. It just has a much more authentic feel to us.