We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about friends staying at a different hotel?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
15,045 posts
60 reviews
Question about friends staying at a different hotel?

Yay- our friends are coming!

But boo...they are booked to stay (non AI, thankfully) at Privilege Aluxes...and we are at the Posada del Mar. :(

How will this work? Can they come visit us at our hotel and vice versa? Or will guards stop us on the way into a property we are not guests at? Can they just come and get drinks at the bar and hang by the pool at the PDM, or is it guests only?

Can they come hang with us at our hotel beach club, and us at theirs?

And how should we be planning on keeping in touch? We all have Blackberries- does anyone know if BBM is free when in Mexico?

I have used it before and seem to recall a 25 cents charge each time....I DO know to keep my connections turned off most of the time. I should call SaskTel but the last time I did so, the person had NO idea what to tell me about using it in MX...grrrrr.

Or is there a better option - are there phones in the new building rooms at the Posada and in the Aluxes rooms? We could simply phone then...or do they charge an arm and a leg for local calls at hotels?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,547 posts
101 reviews
1. Re: Question about friends staying at a different hotel?

They are welcome to come meet you at Posada and will not be stopped. It used to be that the pool was open to guests of the restaurant or palapa bar but that has changed. In a way, it's understandable as you don't want guests of the hotel to not find loungers due to people from other hotels using them. But maybe no one will say anything :)

I don't think you can hang out at the PA property without buying a day pass. OTOH, your friends can meet you at the beach club of the Posada and just pay for chairs and umbrella, which are not expensive.

ETA: we never needed to do so but according to MD to call each other while in Mexico is the same as calling any other US phone number. 001 then area code and number.

Edited: 1:37 pm, July 07, 2011
Corner Brook, Canada
Level Contributor
444 posts
2. Re: Question about friends staying at a different hotel?

Just a quick comment. When we were on Isla in May, I went to PA and asked about a day pass to use the pool. We were told that they do not do this. Surprised me as I has read here before we left that they did. I was told facilities were for guests of the hotel only but we could pay to eat in the resturants.

Lori

Edited: 2:51 pm, July 07, 2011
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,547 posts
101 reviews
3. Re: Question about friends staying at a different hotel?

I thought they did too. I remember reading on this forum that they were charging something like 40 dollars pp for a day pass. I even remarked how high that was. Obviously they changed their policy since then.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Question about friends staying at a different hotel?

They were charging $400 pesos for the use of 2 beach chairs at their beach club, Cafe del Mar.

Maybe that's what you remember TNY, because that is pricey!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
15,045 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Question about friends staying at a different hotel?

That is a lot for a day pass if it is not an AI. Wow!

We are used to places like Kool and Mamitas in north Playa on this coast, where they charge about 100 pesos for two loungers and an umbrella for a day, then you pay for your drinks and food of course, which is very reasonable. (Most clubs on the Pacific side have free use of loungers and you are expected to buy drinks and food,)

I guess we will just have to make arrangements every day the night before....not a big deal, really. :) But it's good to hear they can come visit us at the Posada. We will of course make sure they buy drinks when they do come. And tip Romy! :)

We are all Canadians so what 3-digit country code would we use if we wanted to call each other on our own phones....anyone know?

How about just phoning from the hotel room to another hotel room? Free or big charges or 10 pesos or call or thereabouts- anyone know?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,547 posts
101 reviews
6. Re: Question about friends staying at a different hotel?

Mapchick, yes, that's what I remember! I guess 35 dollars for two and not 40 pp like I remembered. Still up there though.

But Isla also has beach clubs, such as the Posada del Mar where chairs are not expensive. At Caribbean Queen and Sergio's Playa Sol (next door to PA) they're free with food. PA is not really a beach club, which is why I guess it's so expensive. They want to make sure their own guests will have beds and loungers.

And, lol, I forgot your not from the States, Rissask. I really don't know the country code for Canada but I'm sure one of our members will chime in :) I don't think local calls are expensive, even from hotel to hotel.

Edited: 5:15 pm, July 07, 2011
Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Question about friends staying at a different hotel?

Those hotels are right next to each other. You should have no trouble meeting up.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
15,045 posts
60 reviews
8. Re: Question about friends staying at a different hotel?

Thank you, I just looked on Google Earth and see that they are right next to each other- that is perfect!

We were tempted to pay an extra $40 each to change hotels (and whatever Expedia charges) and go to PA, but we are very much looking forward to staying at the Posada del Mar- it is also much more our style of hotel.

And maybe it will be a good thing not staying at the same hotel... (having flashbacks to DMartin's trip report about their travel partners, haha!)

I think we will be able to figure out the phone thing. We will just make our plans the night before and take our phones for BBM, that is easy enough.

Thanks again. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
46,176 posts
44 reviews
9. Re: Question about friends staying at a different hotel?

We spent one Christmas break with some other Alaskan friends - we were actually spread out over centro, and it was very easy to meet up - don't think we used our phones at all. And it was nice having our own spaces, but meeting for meals and days activities. Have fun! :)

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
885 posts
66 reviews
10. Re: Question about friends staying at a different hotel?

We have experienced something similar - our friends stay at Posada and we rent an apartment at Color de Verano. We've used little two-way hand held devices to communicate with them between the two places and also when we're out touring on golf carts when we get separated. Just another option...