We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres vs. Isla Holbox - HELP!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres vs. Isla Holbox - HELP!!

So Last week I posted on here and good some great feebback on lodging and was all set to book Casa Sirena.

Then I made the mistake of researching Isla Holbox over the weekend and it looked amazing as well!

Now, we just can't decide. I would appreciate any feebback from anyome who has spent time on both and why they prefer one to another!!!

It's my wife and I on our 2 year anniversary. We love the beach but also want to do some exploring. Whale sharks obviously and good food and drink! We will be there for 4 nights.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Sirena Hotel
Casa Sirena Hotel
907 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,020 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres vs. Isla Holbox - HELP!!

I've not yet been to Holbox so unfortunately cannot compare the two for you from actual experience, but if I only had four nights, I would go to Isla. It's quite a trip to Chiquila ferry from Cancun, so you'll spend more time traveling to Holbox. Also, from what I've read and heard Holbox does not have the variety of restaurants, and the water is not the same amazing turqoise as Isla. That said, I still want to go one day.

Hopefully someone will be along who has actually been to both to help you out :)

Mentioned in this post
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres vs. Isla Holbox - HELP!!

I say stick with your Isla, Casa Sirena plan because of everything travelerNy said.

I've been to Isla Holbox, although it was quite some time ago. The water and beach are very different than on Isla Mujeres.

it is much more of a remote destination, it's beautiful in a different way than Isla. Isla has much more to offer.

If you were going for a longer time, I would say go try Holbox for a night or two and then spend the rest of your trip on Isla.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Sirena Hotel
Casa Sirena Hotel
907 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Crane Lake...
Level Contributor
536 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres vs. Isla Holbox - HELP!!

The best time for Whale sharks is generally July/August time frame. But June to Sept is considered the season. Don't know your travel time frame.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres vs. Isla Holbox - HELP!!

I have heard/ read the restaurants are quite a bit more expensive. We've not been there but have friends that have. As said, it is very different from Isla and definitely not as easy to get to.

I say for this trip stick to Casa Sirena, you will not be sorry :).

Mentioned in this post
Casa Sirena Hotel
Casa Sirena Hotel
907 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujeres vs. Isla Holbox - HELP!!

Hi...I have to agree with everything posted...it is quite a hike to get there so for only 4 nights I would not recommend it...the prices are more expensive and there is much less to do...having said that...it is a wonderful island...if you decide to go I would highly recommend Hotel Mawimbi.

Mentioned in this post
Holbox Hotel Mawimbi
Holbox Hotel Mawimbi
732 Reviews
Holbox Island, Mexico
Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujeres vs. Isla Holbox - HELP!!

We are now booked for Sirena during the first week of August!!

Thanks for everyone's help!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,020 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Mujeres vs. Isla Holbox - HELP!!

I think you made a wise decision :)

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Mujeres vs. Isla Holbox - HELP!!

We have been to holbox twice in the last year and loved it. Stayed at mawimbi once and tortugas the second time. We are spending a week at IM in march. Depends on the mood we are in. Both great places. One thing that i found out the hard way when i broke my leg on holbox - they do not have medical facilities. Made for a very difficult time with my husband, two young grandchildren and mom with alzheimers.

loveisla
Level Contributor
76 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla Mujeres vs. Isla Holbox - HELP!!

I went to Holbox a couple of years ago after hearing so much about it. I was terribly disappointed. It was a pretty island but really spread out and there is no central place where people gather like Ave Hidalgo. It just didn't have the charm of Isla M. After dark there is nothing to do. After two nights, I was ready to go back to IM and thankfully the hotel refunded most of my money and let me leave early. I was very happy to return to Isla Mujeres.

Mentioned in this post
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
norwalk ct
Level Contributor
499 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla Mujeres vs. Isla Holbox - HELP!!

Its not that had to get their any more,when we went years ago they dropped you off at the long road to the ferry and one had to hitchhike or maybe get a taxi if one could find one.nice little island but since its on the ocean side the water is much different