We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooking class?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kamloops, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Cooking class?

Hi, we are headed to Isla Jan 29th - Feb 5th!!! I was reading on MapChicks blog about a cooking school in Puerto Morelos that does a day of cooking with you and was wondering if I could find something like that on Isla or if I should plan to make a day trip to do this. It sounds like a lot of fun and I would love to cook some authentic Mexican food. Any ideas?

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooking class?

I sure hope someone has a positive reply to your question regarding a similar cooking class on Isla Mujeres, because getting from Isla to Pto Morelos is not as easy as you might think. There is a bus from the downtown Cancun Bus Terminal, but consider the travel time involved for a one day class in Pto Morelos.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooking class?

Here is what I know - I have heard that occasionally, Lololoreno's does a cooking class . . . at least I believe I have read that on the www.islamujeres.info board. Not sure if that is accurate or would be happening during your vacation. I have also tried to talk to a few local people about starting something like that, as I think there is interest and could be a good money making endeavor for a business.

However, I have taken the cooking class in Puerto Morelos and it was a wonderful day! :)

thelittlemexicancookingschool.com/welcome.ht…

I did this last February and it actually went much more smoothly than I thought it would - it was my first time doing a day trip on my own from Isla. We left on one of the early morning ferries - took a taxi from there to the Cancun bus depot and with in moments, we were on a bus heading down the coast to Puerto Morelos. The bus drops you off and then you take a taxi into town. We ended up getting there way early, so went and had breakfast and checked out the town of PM. My spouse didn't want to go, so spent the day at the beach.

I really enjoyed the class - now, there wasn't as much hands on cooking as I had hoped, but it was very informative and fun. I learned lots and had a delightful time in the process. And the feast at the end of the class was just amazing! They also had some great products you could purchase, but none of that is pushed. I really enjoyed the teacher - and Cat is very personable as well.

After the class, my spouse and I strolled the beach, walked into town and caught a taxi back to the bus area. I think we waited about 10 minutes and we were on our way back to Cancun. Taxi back to ferry and we were back on Isla in time for dinner. It worked much more smoothly than I had anticipated - and getting there via bus was very cheap. If you do book it, make sure you print off the map for your taxi driver - most were not familar with where the class was . . . one of the classmates was late because her taxi driver had no idea where the class was, as it is located in a residential area. I hope you go for it! :)

Edited: 12:39 pm, January 11, 2011
Kamloops, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooking class?

Thank, I was worried about the amount of time it would take and since we are also traveling with our 2 girls (age 6 & 15) I wasn't sure if it would be worth the time. I will have to think more on it I guess.

Kamloops, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cooking class?

That sounds like it went very smoothly for you. As I said in another reply, I will be traveling with my husband and 2 girls and I'm not sure if I want to invest that much extra time traveling there when we are only there for 7 days. I will maybe pop by in the beginning of the week to Lololoreno's and see if they would be willing to do a little cooking class for us at some point in the week.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cooking class?

I would contact her before your trip if you are considering that.

It would be a fun day trip for the rest of your family - they could spend the day at the beach while you are at class - gorgeous long stretch of beach there. :)

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cooking class?

Lolo still does cooking classes you can email her at

lololorena at hotmail.com

Kamloops, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cooking class?

Awesome, thanks Mapchick. I will email her and see if I can set something up with her

las vegas
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cooking class?

Islabound

Did you get a reply very curious to hear about it myself.

Sounds like fun

9. Re: Cooking class?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, October 17, 2012