We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain?? Really?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rain?? Really?

My husband and I are so excited about our trip to Isla de Mujeres next week. We've been planning this trip for months (it's our 5th wedding anniversary) and it's our first visit. I was checking the weather and noticed it looks like rain for most of the week. What else is there to do on Isla when it rains? We were looking forward to some sunny days strolling the beach, but looks like we may need a plan B :-(.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain?? Really?

last christmas when we were at isla, it also rained, actually poured, for most of the day. we still had a lot of fun renting the golf cart driving around for about 3 hours, however, we did get very cold and wet.

this christmas we were ready so with us, we had in our bag, 2 plastic ponchos

($1 per poncho...very light plastic type with hood), small towel, and a light jacket in the event it poured again. fortunately for us in the morning, we see that it was going to be warm and sunny for the day so we lucked out.

if it rains, i would still drive around in a golf cart, walk around the town, do some shopping ....don't let the rain stop you and of course, it would not be as much fun as in the sunshine, but it's still "paradise".

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain?? Really?

The weather report is typically for Cancun, and as close as it is to Isla, it often happens that while it's pouring in Cancun it's sunny on Isla. Also, rain every day could mean a quick shower but sun the rest of the time. Hopefully you'll have beautiful weather :) Ifit's just a light rain, golf carts are still fun, but I would not do it again in heavy rain. It was a cold, wet, and miserable experience, not to mention getting splashed by every speeding cab, lol.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain?? Really?

DO NOT WORRY! For the most part, the weather reports are wrong, esp. for Isla. Pack those cheap plastic ponchos and keep them handy. We also pack travel umbrellas. Keep them at the top of your luggage in case you need them on your way.

The umbrella's will allow you to walk around, eat, drink and still have alot of fun.Great way of meeting people! If it is hot, raining, and no lightening we still go in the water, either sea or pool. Seriously, what's the difference when it comes to getting wet, water from above or below?

I doubt rain would ruin your trip as Isla doesn't allow for that, and it's not rainy season. We love a tropical storm, totally chillaxing! Relax, you can't control the weather anyway.

Take that energy and apply it to fun planning and anticipation.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,336 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain?? Really?

We were on Isla in September. While we could see that on almost a daily basis it was raining across the bay in Cancun, the only rain we experienced was overnight one night, and we wouldn't have even known about that except that our traveling companions were night owls and reported it to us. So don't worry about the forecasts, but be prepared with ponchos as recommended above (we always bring some). If it happened to me, I'd spend a rainy day strolling Hidalgo, shopping and sampling the many great food and beverage offerings. And we divers don't really care if it rains, as long as the seas aren't choppy. We go there to get wet anyway.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain?? Really?

A rainy day on Isla is better than any day anywhere else :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain?? Really?

So how was your trip?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain?? Really?

Our trip was divine! I posted a review of our trip, but can't seem to find it. I reviewed Isla de Mujeres as a whole. Even in the rain, this place is BLISS...can't wait to return!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain?? Really?

The only review that is showing in your profile is for the Mango Cafe. I would love to read your trip report :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
54 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain?? Really?

Hmmm...is it possible it is just not posted yet? I posted it on Friday morning. I got a thank you e-mail from trip advisor, so I have a feeling it went somewhere! Ha ha! Where are reviews of specific places posted at? I clicked on the tab at the top for "write a review" and reviewed a "city/town." I'll wait a few more days and see if it pops up. If not, I'll write another one. Hmph! :-)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,880 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain?? Really?

Most folks post their trip reports here on this forum and then review properties/restaurants separately. Glad to hear that you had a great time! Did it rain? :)