We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand bags

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
minnesota
12 posts
Save Topic
Sand bags

We stayed in Isla April 2009 and there was sand bags everywhere. we are going again this April and I am wondering if the little white sand bags are everywhere still and if they are still pumping sand onto the beaches with big hoses.Beach was still beautiful in 2009 but a little unsightly. We are bringing friends this year and need to know if i should warn them.

Level Contributor
638 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand bags

We were there this past May and saw no sand bags. I have seen some in Playa but none in Isla. Hope this helps.

alberta
Level Contributor
92 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand bags

I don't know where on Isla the last writer was, but we were there in late May-early June and the north beach was covered in sand bags. I too found it to be quite unsightly and distracting from what I am sure is usually a very beautiful area.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sand bags

That has to be done during some times of the year to stop beach erosion, although not very pretty it's that or no beach at all.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sand bags

Yes, they were there when we there in March. Even Sergio's Playa Sol had some sand whales. It does help the erosion but doesn't do much for appearance, as stated above :)

boston
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sand bags

We were these early November One day the sandbags were in front of Nautibeach, the next day they were completely covered. I think it is a day by day issue.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
887 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sand bags

When we were there Nov. 7-14, there were a lot of sanbags (though not around by Playa Sol & down towards the ferry). There had been an el Norte wind blowing for a good part of our stay, so this may have been a factor, though the sandbags I am talking about are huge and I don't think they can be easily added or removed depending on the weather. Still, better to have a bit of a messy look than to lose the whole beach.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
247 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sand bags

Just got back and the beach at Privilege Aluxes was great, no sandbags.

8. Re: Sand bags

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, May 30, 2011