We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety on Isla Mujeres?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
chicago, IL
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safety on Isla Mujeres?

I'm booked for an all inclusive this January and I'm wondering if there are any safety issues that we need to worry about. I've heard some talk about Mexican Caribbean islands not being safe anymore since the recession has hit.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Cocoa, Fl
Level Contributor
245 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

Oh you know what else may help avoid any stomache upsets, I read on one of the post, & I think it helped me, Take Asadopholis before your trip for about 20-30 days prior every day, & then bring grape fruit seed extract ( available in capsule form) & take 1 before meals, this is suppose to break up any bad bacteria. I did this & got a little sick- ( forgot about the water while brushing my teeth.) but I only got sick briefly, ( a few hrs. one night) I did have a little decreased appetite for a few days after, but I never got really sick. I do think the precautions helped.

Take some meds w/ you just in case-

put water bottles next to the sink- we brush our teeth on Auto- piolot & forget about the water issues.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

Silly:

I'm also from the Chicago 'burbs and I found Isla to be one of the safest places I've ever vacationed. Safer than a lot of places here. Never felt a problem anywhere, even at night. Of course, I'm over 6' and 225, so I don't think the 12-14-yr-olds mentioned above could knock me over. We stayed at Ixchel Beach and LOVED it! They provide a large jug of water which we used for ice cubes, drinking, etc. but honestly we used the tap for brushing teeth and had no problems whatsoever. We ate everywhere from taquerias to fancy restaurants with no ill effects (of course, the maragaritas probably killed any bugs). We also did the acidopholus trick (also known as probiotics), just in case. And take this tip from me: on Sunday, walk over to the mercado and go inside--there's a stall that serves cochinita pibil (the mayan answer to pulled pork) and another that sells freshly made tortillas. We brought these back to the condo and heated them up for lunch. One of the most memorable meals of my life! I think the name of the cochinita pibil stall was Tacos Sombrosa--but just ask and they'll point you in the right direction.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ixchel Beach Hotel
1,474 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
chicago, IL
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

Good tips and advice. Better yet, brush your teeth with marguaritas and kill two birds with one stone?

I'm looking forward to our trip in January. Any advice on where to convert to pesos if I don't have an atm card?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,056 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

There are several cambios to exchange your $$ into pesos. :)

35. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:38 am, May 02, 2011