We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety on Isla Mujeres?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
chicago, IL
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety on Isla Mujeres?

I'm booked for an all inclusive this January and I'm wondering if there are any safety issues that we need to worry about. I've heard some talk about Mexican Caribbean islands not being safe anymore since the recession has hit.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

We have been to IM three times in the past four years and never an issue nor have we observed any. The same can be said for Akumal and also Puerto Morales. There is a lot of security on IM with the local Policia and also the Navy Base. Like any other place, be cautious, be observant, use common sense and be a good visitor. You will love the people.

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,563 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

As already mentioned, you need to travel like you would anywhere - use your common sense and all that. Leave the flashy jewelry and expensive trinkets at home and come enjoy your stay, though most of us would have told you not to book AI - Isla simply has too many good places to eat! :)

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,021 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

Isla felt like one of the safest places we've ever visited. Naturally we used normal precautions as we would anywhere. We walked around late at night too. We didn't choose to walk on the beach late at night.....for no other reason than we don't walk on the beach late at night anywhere. But it may be fine on Isla....others will know.

Here's a recent thread that might interest you.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150810-i360-k3721…

US
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

it's fine to walk on the beach late at night. it's not like other places where the beaches are dangerous after the sun sets. Isla in general is safe, although petty theft is not unheard of.

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

Agree with every prior comment, especially the ones pertaining to keeping expensive trinkets/jewelry at home, since pick-pocketing seems to be the predominate occassional crime (highly doubtful the perp(s) are local folk).

Something else to consider: We're a guest in their house. It goes without saying for those who've visited there, but IM is worlds apart from Cancun or Cozumel. The locals are extremely hard working, respectful of tourists, and rightfully proud of their island. The majority live, for the most part, in what we'd consider poverty. So, take the time to get to meet them (learning a little Spanish wouldn't hurt.....trust me, I got laughed at many time for my feeble attempts at a "normal" conversation using what Spanish I've learned through osmosis). You'll be amazed with how much they can teach us all.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,851 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

I can only echo what everyone else has said. Isla is safe, and what crime there is, is mostly crimes of opportunity, such as leaving valuables around unattended, like your camera or purse in a golf cart. It's a very casual place where you would most likely feel out of place wearing flashy clothing and jewelry. We have walked everywhere even late at night and the only "menacing" thing we've ever encountered was a stray dog.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

Agree with everyone else except one small thing from Rocker, I wouldn't put Cozumel in the category with Cancun. I would put Cozumel more in line with Isla, even though it is much larger it is very safe.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

I live in Chicago and I think its safer to walk down the street on Isla Mujeres than it is here at night. My wife and I went to El Varadero for dinner one night and could not stop drinking there mojitos, after about 7 I decided it may be time to go before I drank all the mojitos they could possibly make (they are sooooooo good). And we ended up walking back to Villa La Bella and this was pretty late at night and we stopped at a convenience store for some palomas. Then we had about a 30 minute walk possibly shorter then that back, but through the neighberhoods and down side roads, it seemed sketchy but I'm still alive to talk about it and everyone was polite. Everywhere I went on the Island everyone seemed so happy and laidback, you have nothing to worry about.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
El Varadero
El Varadero
214 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Villa La Bella
Villa La Bella
755 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
chicago, IL
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

Thanks to everyone for the reassuring replies, I'm really looking forward to this trip. We decided on the AI because the difference in price would cover drinks and food and we don't have a problem wondering off the property to try something else once in a while. We are from Chicago (suburbs) also and I know there is always some crime but i was more concerned with some stories I've heard about cruise ship passengers on cozumel being scammed by the POLICIA of all things. I do feel better after reading all these posts. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety on Isla Mujeres?

A little off subject...but PLEASE DO wander off the resort, and definitely more than just once in awhile! You will miss the very essence of Isla if you don't explore. Isla Mujeres is NOT about the resort, it is about the island itself.

Have you read the Hogfamily and DMartin trip reports? Required reading, LOL! Seriously, these reports will introduce you to the island and give you the feel for what it is like.

And on subject, I can only reiterate what has been said, as long as you use common sense Isla is safe :-).

(Also, stepping off the resort is easy! It is in a very busy area, you walk out a door and are on the main streets.)

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico