We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Norte is a "nude beach"?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
California
Level Contributor
302 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Norte is a "nude beach"?

This is the first I've heard. I was reading a most recent review of Cabanas Maria Del Mar where the contributor made statement that PN is a nude beach? Is this so?

Mentioned in this post
Cabanas Maria Del Mar
Cabanas Maria Del Mar
773 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Norte is a "nude beach"?

Not from what I've seen, no pun intended.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Norte is a "nude beach"?

NO, topless yes but nude no. And it is not specifically topless, you will see some woman sunbathing topless on the beach, though certainly not the majority.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,013 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Norte is a "nude beach"?

News to me as well. Yes, you will see an occasional woman topless, but it's not common at all.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,750 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Norte is a "nude beach"?

Throughout Mexico and the Caribbean, I've been on many beaches where the official policy is no nude or topless sunbathing, but since these areas draw many European vacationers who are used to topless beaches and think nothing of it, you'll see some here and there (but usually wish you hadn't). If there are any security personnel, they'll be male, and if you're expecting them to tell the women to cover up, well ...

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
21,013 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Norte is a "nude beach"?

I don't think I'd be particularly thrilled to have my hotel associated with a nude beach, lol. Lot of people read these reviews and not everyone is open minded or tolerant of topless sunbathing. Besides, it gives the wrong impression that it's a lot more "nude" than just topless.

California
Level Contributor
302 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Norte is a "nude beach"?

"you'll see some here and there (but usually wish you hadn't)"

O good, so then I won't have to wipe my husbands droll!

I know this is a sensitive subject for some. I just wanted clarity. Thanks for answering.

Cheers!!

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,666 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Norte is a "nude beach"?

you may see the odd topleass person, but in Mexico, where all the beaches are federally owned, Topless sunbathing is actually illegal, so very rare to see it on the beach; more likely to see the odd bare breast at poolside.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Norte is a "nude beach"?

Our crowd usually makes a one day trip to North Beach to check out the topless sunbathers. (some good, some not so good). Out along the beach at Sac Bajo there are topless sunbathers and at least one couple(usually 2 or 3 couples) that walk the beach nude. To my knowledge, no one has ever told them to put their clothes on. But then, I have no desire to march right up and talk to them. LOL

Fayetteville, North...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Norte is a "nude beach"?

I had a lovely vacation there at Villa Rolandi. (Sept. 2010) I went up to Playa Norte/Coco Beach and in addition to myself, there were 2 othere women topless. They put their tops on to walk around or go in the water, being discreet. I didn't have any oglers or people acting silly. No big deal, really. My first time topless, too.

Edited: 10:40 pm, March 23, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,675 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Norte is a "nude beach"?

Was there last week. I saw only 2 nude boobs.