We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can we listen to Banda music??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Where can we listen to Banda music??

Hi All!

Is there anywhere to go on Isla to listen to Banda music (not mariachi...I mean live 6 (or more) peice bands)?? Thanks in advance :)

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can we listen to Banda music??

I certainly could be mistaken but I don't think you will find Banda music on Isla. Strolling mariachi's yes, but not Banda that I know of. The only time I 've seen something like that was at a private birthday party for a fairly prominent local (and the group was not from Isla).

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,479 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can we listen to Banda music??

I think banda is more prevalent in the Northern states than in the Yucatan but I could be wrong. La Luna and Fayne's have live music so you might hear some there but I can't say for sure. I've never really heard any on Isla but that doesn't mean it isn't around :)

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can we listen to Banda music??

Awe, Bummer :( Thanks for the info guys! I guess Banda originated in the Norhtern states but I have heard it all the way down the Pac coast...was just hoping I would be able to find some in the Yucatan...whatcha gonna do? :) Guess I'll just have to enjoy my beers listening to Mariachi...how terrible LOL

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,479 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can we listen to Banda music??

There's so much great music on Isla that even if you don't get to hear banda per se you'll still have a great time enjoying that beer :) For good music stop by Miguel's Moonlight, La Luna, Fayne's, Bamboo, and OM bar!

Level Contributor
638 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can we listen to Banda music??

I was there two weeks ago and hung out a couple of times at a local bar called Hemingway's. It is on the ghetto side but they did play some Banda music in there. Another local joint and ghetto was La Ankla. They played Banda also. Not all but part of what was in the jukebox. Stopped passing by and while wife was using phone at Digame, went across the st. to Hemingway's. Beers about $1.35, Hope this helps enjoy HIO

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can we listen to Banda music??

HoleinoneDr-thanks so much for the info :) :) I'm definitely going to check out these places! I kinda like "ghetto" places...you always end up having more fun :) I like the $1.35 beers as well...can't beat that!!!

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can we listen to Banda music??

I'm sorry,...but am the only one who finds the "ghetto" reference OFFENSIVE???

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can we listen to Banda music??

Being a professional musician for many years long ago, I have a fond spot for "ghetto places". With the stresses of endless travel, headliner concerts, recording sessions, and practices, we learned early that they are very good places to hang, chill, and while away the time.

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can we listen to Banda music??

"Ghetto places", "biker bars", "redneck joints", and "honky-tonks" are some of the common and generic names for non-uppety/snobby places where folks can let their hair down, get rowdy if they choose, and enjoy themselves. These names are not meant to be derrogatory, slanderous, or racist in any way. They also do not imply the social or financial status of the patrons. During prohibition, the term "speak easy" could be included in this list. Although I'm now an engineer in the nuclear industry (far cry from my musician past), I still visit them from time to time.....especially if a good band is rockin' the place.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,479 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can we listen to Banda music??

I think the term has different connotations depending on where you live. In NY to say a place is ghetto is not considered complimentary, lol. But I know how HIO did not meant it in the put-down sense but more in the sense Rocker is saying :)