We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

XS Hostel?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
XS Hostel?

Hi All!!

Has anyone cruised by...or stayed at the XS Hostel on Isla yet? I think it is relatively new, and it only has one review. Just wondering what you guys think...we are booked there in a private room and I'm hoping I made a good choice. The website made it sound like it was in an amazing location, but I've never been to Isla, so I don't know...is that accurate?

Thanks in advance :)

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: XS Hostel?

It is right in Centro, a block or so from the beach. The guy that runs it, named Sergio, also has Rooster, a very good breakfast and lunch restaurant and he also has a lavandaria (a laundromat where you take clothes to be laundered and pick them up later). We've met Sergio, he's a really nice guy. I've not been in the hostel but we've eaten at the restaurant and used the laundry services. From what I have heard the hostel is nice.

Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: XS Hostel?

You can also get some more info on the Hostel at hostelworld.com

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: XS Hostel?

Thanks for the info guys!! Islaforme, is the Rooster connected physically to the hostel, or is it close? Thanks :)

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: XS Hostel?

Yes, Rooster is very close! Not connected physically but right next to it.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
670 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: XS Hostel?

I imagine you'd be paying about $40/night for a room at XS. If I'm not mistaken, you'll be getting a hostel-style bunkroom, not a true hotel-style room with a private bath. For $35 or $40 you can get an efficiency apartment accross the street at Maria Leticia.(private bath, two beds, kitchenette area with fridge, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, etc.). If the money is pretty much the same, I think you'd be happier at Maria Leticia, but that's just my opinion.

isla-mujeres.net/rentals/…home.htm

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,348 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: XS Hostel?

There are actually several budget places on Isla - if that is what you are interested in. I know some people like to stay at hostels for the interaction with other like-minded people. As well as Maria Leticia, there are also several budget apartments managed by Gladys at Isla Budget Rentals. We stayed in a nice little studio apartment for $35 a night - had a complete kitchen and locked gate entry. http://islabudgetrentals.com/home :)

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: XS Hostel?

We actually booked 4 beds in one room (there are only four beds in one room according to the website) and it came out to be $15/nt total ($3.75 per bed). We have never stayed in a Hostel before and were originally looking for an efficiency or something in the $35 range, but when this came up, I jumped on it. We'll be staying between Vegas and Mexico for 3 weeks total in a row, and we just got back from Vietnam, so we were trying to be el cheapo!!!! I'm hoping it works out well...but for $15 a night, I'm not expecting to be thrilled...I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise. I'll just keep putting those positive vibes out, and hope all goes well :)

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: XS Hostel?

jpcheer.....I like your sense of adventure! From what I know XS Hostel is the nicest one on Isla :-).

You will love Isla, have a great time!

Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: XS Hostel?

Shoot, for $15 a night to have a roof and a bed im sure you won't be disappointed, how much time will you spend in there anyhow, sounds like a great deal! Enjoy!!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
670 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: XS Hostel?

I didn't realize you'd gotten such an attractive rate. Yeah, you've got a great deal, and it sounds like you've got proper expectations for hostel accommodations. Their website indicates that each room DOES have a private bath, so that's a step up from many hostels. I think you'd asked about the location of Rooster...The main photo on their website is taken from Hidalgo and shows Rotisserie Mexicana on the ground floor. Just out of frame to the right is Rooster. For inexpensive food to go with your inexpensive dining, here are a few places to put on your list. The market loncherias (opposite Las Palmas), the aforementioned Rotisserie, Poc Chuc, and Taqueria Medina.