We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Roca Mar question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Austin Tx
Level Contributor
266 posts
Save Topic
The Roca Mar question

I have reservations to stay at Roca Mar in May. I don't think they have air conditioning. Do you think it would be too uncomfortable to stay a couple nights in May without air conditioning?

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Roca Mar question

If you have an ocean view room there are very nice breezes off the Caribbean.

We're stayed there in July with no AC, but I realize not everyone would find that comfortable.

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The Roca Mar question

I am a Floridian and pretty well acclimated to hot weather, but I would not want to stay anywhere on Isla in May without the option of air-conditioning. There are some rooms at the RocaMar that have a/c, and since they are only ten-dollars a night more than the rooms without a/c, I think it would be money well spent. By the way, I would NOT want a RocaMar first-floor oceanview room. They are sited slightly below and facing a public malecon (sidewalk), which partially obstructs their view and compromises their privacy.

BC
Level Contributor
253 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Roca Mar question

We stayed at the Roca Mar in mid March and did have air conditioning in our room....worked very well. It was an ocean view room. The sliding doors also open up completely so there is a lot of nice breeze coming in as well. The sliding door also has a metal bar that can be place in the track so that it can be open about 6" safely and securely...if you like to sleep with the sound of the waves.

We were on the second floor which is actually the 3rd floor of the building when looking from the malecon....there is Ground, then 1st, 2nd and 3rd. As stated I wouldn't want to be on the Ground floor either....not much breeze and zero privacy from the malecon area.

Just an FYI....I'm sure you're aware that some rooms have the all-glass bathrooms...you can request to have that or just a regular bathroom with real walls. We had the glass and it was okay for a married couple, but I wouldn't do it for a family.

We have stayed at the Roca Mar since 2003....the new renovations are nice....did miss some of the 'rustic' features of the original, but the view is still as awesome as ever.

Free WiFi in the sitting area and also from my room doorway which was convenient.

Enjoy your stay,

Doris

Austin Tx
Level Contributor
266 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Roca Mar question

Thank You for the air conditioning tip. I didn't know they have the option and I know I would be happier with it. I tried to get expedia to call them, but they didn't have luck. I hope when I get there that I can upgrade to ac and a room above the Malcion. Thanks again!

5. Re: The Roca Mar question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, September 29, 2010