We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Boats from Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Tilghman, MD
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tour Boats from Cancun

Thinking about a vacation to Isla Mujeres next winter. What I've read about it's slightly out-of-the-way, low-key nature appeals to me. But I've also read about tour boats that bring tourists over from Cancun. So the question is, do the tour boats from Cancun adversely effect the ambiance on Isla Mujeres? I have no desire to be surrounded by throngs of day trippers from Cancun, and all that that implies.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Boats from Cancun

In my relatively limited experience with the Cancun 'daytrippers', I have found them to be bunched together and very easy to avoid.

They also don't stick around very long. Then they can't understand why anyone would want to stay on Isla Mujeres.....

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,896 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Boats from Cancun

I met someone on my recent trip that said she had ran into a day tripper that was worried about missing the 5 pm boat back to Cancun because Isla was apparently deserted at night and there was no where to stay. :)

I am usually on the beach (Sergios) when some of the boats load up their guests and head back to Cancun - there is a bit of load music then, and then they are off. While I don't really notice the shift in population while they are here, it is quieter when they leave - usually before sunset. Nothing like hoardes of tourists that come off of cruise ships, if you are worried about that scene.

Tilghman, MD
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Boats from Cancun

Thanks. I was once on an island called Bequia in the Grenadines. A cruise ship had pulled in, and I watched and listened as a guy with a real thick New York accent spoke loudly to very soft-spoken, laid back woman vendor. He said, "Enough wit dis EC gahbage! How much in American?" I'd been through the market before and everything was very reasonably priced. EC dollars are about one-third US dollars. I like to get away to get away from most Americans.

4. Re: Tour Boats from Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 16, 2010