We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

isla

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Port Clinton
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
isla

What is the best way to get from the Hotel Zone to Isla? Are there any buses that go directly to the ferry terminal?? Also, Is there any snorkeling right off the beaches in Isla Mujeres or do you need to do the snorkel trips to get to the reefs?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
42,994 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: isla

I would take a taxi from the hotel zone to get to the main ferry terminal of Gran Puerto.

There is some snorkeling from shore thought the best snorkeling is just a short boat ride from shore. :)

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: isla

Probably the best snorkeling on the island is under the bridge connecting Avalon Reef to the main island. For us, Garrafon park wasn't worth the entry fee.

new york
Level Contributor
20,743 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: isla

Nex to Garrafon Park, which is very expensive, is the Hotel Garrafon de Castilla beach club. Can't miss it as you're driving South, you'll see the building with the name written on it. You can snorkel there for a small entrance fee (a little less than 5 dollars). They also have a restaurant, showers, changing rooms and lockers (for an additional fee). Otherwise, yes, the bridge by Avalon is a very good option.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Garrafon
Hotel Garrafon
10 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,108 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: isla

I'm cheap, so I'd take the bus from the hotel zone to downtown Cancun, then catch a bus from there to Puerto Juarez.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Juarez
Puerto Juarez
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: isla

I don't think the city bus is going to Puerto Juarez anymore.

The taxis didn't like it, there are colectivos, but a taxi will get you there quicker and not much $.

Bus to downtown Cancun and then grab a taxi for 50 pesos to the dock.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Juarez
Puerto Juarez
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Minnesota
Level Contributor
431 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: isla

We were just there - took a bus for 7.50 pesos to the ferry just past Dos Playas. I think it is called Playa Tortugas, near El Embarcodero. The ferry runs hourly on the half hour and the last run leaves IM at 5:30 p.m.

This port is much closer to the Hotel Zone than Puerto Juarez and there is no need to go downtown and change buses.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Juarez
Puerto Juarez
Quintana Roo, Mexico
7. Re: isla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 09, 2010