We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no moleste, por favor

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
no moleste, por favor

I feel guilty posting this. My girlfriend and I spent a week in Mazatlan last year. I am a total beach bum. However, we couldn't sit on the beach because vendors would approach us every few seconds, and that's not an exaggeration. When I swam in the ocean, I would race back to the hotel pool to avoid vendors.

Long story short, we will be in Isla Mujeres from March 1-7. Where is the best beach or beach club where we won't be swarmed by vendors? We're staying at Ixchel, so a beach near Playa Norte would be the most ideal but I'll walk some distance if need be.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: no moleste, por favor

It isn't that bad on Isla, a simple "no gracias" or shke of the head, and that's all if takes. Beach vendors are there, but not every few seconds and I never found them to be pushy or annoying at all. No need to run and hide :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,338 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: no moleste, por favor

While there are vendors on the beach, I don't think they are as frequent as you say it was in Mazatlan. Also, I don't know how aggressive they were there, but on Isla a simple "No, gracias" works and they go on their way. Since one beach pretty much leads into another, I can't say that you'll be less likely to encounter them by staying at one instead of another. In my experience most tend to just walk by holding up what they have (pareos, beads, etc.) and only if you show interest will they come over. Otherwise, they often just walk on by so it's really not like it's a constant interruption of your conversation, reading, or whatever. Also I remind myself that while I may be on vacation, they're working :)

Albany
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: no moleste, por favor

We stayed at Ixchel and used the chairs/umbrellas provided by them (included in the price of your room). It's a great stretch of beach, and the vendors are the most polite and unobtrusive of anywhere we've stayed.

Unless things have changed in the last few months, there are only a handful of them, and they typically walk the beach, never coming up to you unless beckoned. Certainly not the carnival atmosphere like in Cancun. Enjoy your vacation!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: no moleste, por favor

I was there in late January and business was really slow for the vendors but we were not at all harrassed by the people selling items on the beach. There were no where near as many of them as there are in Mazatland and if you said no thanks they kept walking. They only stopped if you indicated you were interested. We did get some great deals on the beach however !

5. Re: no moleste, por favor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 21, 2010