We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PA vs. IM Palace

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ramsey, MN
Level Contributor
227 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
PA vs. IM Palace

I've done quite a bit of researching and this will be our first trip to IM next January. We are going with another couple that INSIST on AI so we've narrowed down to the PA and the IM Palace. It sounds like food is very good/reasonably priced in IM so we will most likely eat out at leat a couple of times, but have questions:

-Which is closer to town

-Which has a better beach

Any other suggestions you have would be great.

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: PA vs. IM Palace

Privilege Aluxes is closer to town and has a better -- or at least bigger -- beach. Isla Mujeres Palace feels more secluded (you can't even enter the property unless you are a Palace hotel guest) and has evening entertainment, which I believe PA lacks.

Kansas
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PA vs. IM Palace

The PA has better beach, closer to town. IM Palace has rock for a beach but nice pools, you need a ride in town by taxi or golf cart.

Ask yourself, what is inportant to you, beach? Close to town?

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: PA vs. IM Palace

Correction: I just read a review that indicated IM Palace does not have evening shows, as some all-inclusives do. But they do have staff "animators" who lead games and activities. The Palace receives a daily influx of guests day-tripping from other Palace resorts in Cancun, but they are gone by late afternoon.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PA vs. IM Palace

I'm at the PA right now, and one thing to consider about the AI here is that NOT everything is included! You can only get tap Corona or mixed drinks. If you want a bottle of beer you have to pay for it. My husband asked for a Modelo Especial and was told he couldn't have it, then I said ok, can we pay for it? Then they said yes, and brought him a cheap-a** can. So, that is kind of annoying. Also, they only give you 4 beers per day in the mini-bar, 2 coronitas, and 2 cans of corona light. I gave our beer-filler a very nice tip and asked for more beer. She took the tip, but I still only have 4 beers in my fridge. My opinion, if I pay for an all-inclusive, I shouldn't want for anything! However, small price to pay for the location, which is pretty perfect. Hope that helps!

Kansas
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PA vs. IM Palace

Kimbiss, Thanks for info on the beers at the PA, I will be there in April.

For the mixed drinks that are included on the AI plan, Does Marquartias and others included?

Question about rooms. Where are the Standard rooms located? Are they facing the cemetery? 1st floor?

Have a great time!!

long island
Level Contributor
310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PA vs. IM Palace

Hi,

What is the per person per day cost for the AI option?

thankx,

eugene

Edited: 12:56 pm, January 13, 2010
New York, NY
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PA vs. IM Palace

tequilaman- for mixed drinks, I think everything is included. I've had Pina Coladas and Margaritas (frozen & on the rocks) and all was included. However, not too boozy so far. Husband and I have been ordering an extra shot with our drinks to mix in just in case (also included). As for the rooms, I'm not sure about the views. We have a deluxe suite and the bedroom has a view of the cemetary (actually a nice view) and the deck off the living room is facing the ocean. It looks like the standard rooms could be either? Not too sure. Sorry!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PA vs. IM Palace

Oh and the cost is 40 pp per day for AI addition. We got a much better deal than that booking through Expedia, otherwise I"m not sure if it is worth it. We've only been eating breakfast at the hotel, and that is included whether you do AI or not, and I've already discussed teh drinks situation, so next time, no AI for us!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,953 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PA vs. IM Palace

I love Isla Mujeres, so don't take this wrong. But if these friends of yours really want the AI experience, perhaps they should stay in Cancun, where AI is top notch, and come to Isla Mujeres as a day trip. Even the places that do AI here don't have them arranged like how your friends are probably expecting it and they would probably be disappointed - not in Isla, but in their AI experience. Just a thought.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,574 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PA vs. IM Palace

If you are going to go with AI then I'd recommend PA over Palace. One, the beach is beautiful, while the one at Palace is small and tends to have seagrass. Also, it's within minutes of Centro, so if you're not happy with the restaurant at PA, you're just a stroll away from many alternatives. Also, once you're done with dinner, it's nice to get out, walk around, have a drink on Hidalgo and people watch, all the things you can't do from Palace unless you cab it. Which of course you can, but I find it more convenient to walk to places.