We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More news from Isla...Avalon restaurant closed and

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
United States
Level Contributor
9,421 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
More news from Isla...Avalon restaurant closed and

employees sent home... I will qualify this by saying that info on a messsage board is not always correct and I certainly can not verify but someone took the time to post it...this hotel is hanging on by a thread...I know there are some of the posters here that believe what the hotel tells them but just wanted to mention this. It is a message board about Isla...IslaMujeres info.com or similar. Also as mentioned in another post the latest review is clearly indicative of a hotel in trouble. Good luck!!

Edited: 1:58 pm, December 10, 2009
Minnesota
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: More news from Isla...Avalon restaurant closed and

When we left Isla on Dec 17, the Avalon certainly appeared open unless the people we saw there were squatters and not guests. We don't know about the restaurant, though.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: More news from Isla...Avalon restaurant closed and

We have reservations there from Jan 14 - 20, and are deciding what we should do. Unfortunately we booked through Travelocity and took the all-inclusive and declined the insurance. We're pretty easy going and not expecting anything remotely related to luxury but we were expecting drinks and food that we payed extra for. Is anyone who is there in a similar situation? How's the hotel handling AI guests? We don't know whether to stick it out on IM or insist on a transfer to their Cancun property. I was thinking of getting Travelocity to refund the AI and just stick with the hotel since we much prefer to stay on IM.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: More news from Isla...Avalon restaurant closed and

ivanhny, have you read the latest postings about Avalon? At last report, AI guests staying at Avalon were being told by the hotel that an arrangement had been made with another hotel Nabalam to provide food and drink. This requires Avalon guests to walk across the bridge from Avalon to the other hotel. More importantly, this morning Por Esto! newspaper is reporting that the Mexican electric commission (CFE) is ordering the hotel's power cut off for non-payment. The paper also reports that the hotel owes money for its water bill.

United States
Level Contributor
9,421 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: More news from Isla...Avalon restaurant closed and

Iam not sure I understand the pllight of Ivan above...how much more negative info will it take? Seems like I read in one of the posts here that Travelocity will move you...why would you not move? If you just want AI go to Cancun. Services will continue to decline period...it is not going to make a comeback in the next few months.

Edited: 10:05 am, December 24, 2009
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Saint Cloud...
Level Contributor
560 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: More news from Isla...Avalon restaurant closed and

On islamujeres.info ----- The guests awoke to a typed written message on Avalon stationary under their door that apologized for the inconveniences & that the restaurant would be open for breakfast at 8am. And it is open with people having breakfast. Merry Christmas --- SOUNDS LIKE RESTAURANT IS OPEN

United States
Level Contributor
9,421 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: More news from Isla...Avalon restaurant closed and

I just read that post about breakfast so that is nice as I would not mind going out for dinner or even lunch but nice to go downstairs and have breakfast there...hopefully this will continue and is a sign they are going to try to make your stay as normal as possible...maybe having too much information is just creating stress...I have overanalyzed things many times and worried about things on a trip that once you get there it is totally different....good luck to all....whatever you do...

37. Re: More news from Isla...Avalon restaurant closed and

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 23, 2010