We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Toronto

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ontario
Level Contributor
380 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from Toronto

I have been looking at flights for our Jan 4-18 trip and notice that the flights with tour companies like Sunwing, Air Transat are a lot less expensive then West Jet and Air Canada. Does any one know why? I assume they are trying to fill up the plane, but what if they get more people wanting a package for that date? I assume they make more money on a package... so is there a risk that we will get bumped if we are only booking a flight?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Flights from Toronto

Shug --

Direct means you do not have to switch planes, but it does land to pick up other passengers en-route. Non-stop means just that - you only land once, at your destination.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Flights from Toronto

Not taken or meant as a know it all. Bargain hunters need to stick together!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Flights from Toronto

Air Canada flies non-stop to Cancun - I don't believe Canadian airlines are permitted to make stops in the US to pick up other passengers.

To OP you made the right choice - this is a scheduled flight with the usual standards associated with that. Sunwing et al is a pack em in to small seats with minimal service; and there have been recent press reports that with the current economy that rather than sell off unoccupied seats cheap charter airlines are more frequently amalgamating or cancelling flights instead.

I have flown this route before with Air Canada vacations, and was also able to get a last minute upgrades to business class for $25 each - don't count on that though!

I tried Sunwing last year and I can firmly say never again - mind you if you happen to be a midget on a diet prepared to check-in or arrive in the middle of the night and not to fussed about delays it could be ok.

Ontario
Level Contributor
380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Flights from Toronto

spold 905... thank you thank you. I have never flown AC and couldn't understand why it was less expensive than the WestJest scheduled flight. Got a special through our Visa travel card so I know that saved a bit. Also it was standard class (Tango)... business was 300 more and 1st class was double.

I sure appreciate you vote of confidence. I will stress no more about the flight. Now don't go telling me that Tango means the same as "standby" !!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Flights from Toronto

Lol - no Tango and Tango plus are just to do with refundability and what multiple of Aeroplan points you will or won't get - don't think that matters to you - may influence your initial seat assignments - be sure to see if anything better is available when you check in online. Take your own headphones for in-flight if you have them. You may have options on upgrading to the lounge for about $30 if that interests you. Keep an eye on your check-in baggage allowance as AC has recently had hired old grumpy employees to police this at the check-in line - it will still be way better than a charter (likely 23kg).

northern ontario...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Flights from Toronto

Glad to see you booked, I'm in the same boat (plane) waiting to book form Toronto to Cancun Jan. 30. Who did your booking?

Ontario
Level Contributor
380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Flights from Toronto

I have an Visa Infinite Travel credit card, so I booked through their website and I think it was a special price through them. West Jet for the same day was just a little more. In past years when we went the package route, I would search Belair travel's website, and then call an agent at the Barrie office to book with a live person (so that she got the commision, but I still paid the website price)

28. Re: Flights from Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, May 24, 2010