We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling on Isla Mujures

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Mountlake Terrace
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling on Isla Mujures

Is there any snorkeling at all at the beaches at the north end near town?

If I go to the south end of the island, I understand I have two choices to snorkel - the expensive park and the less expensive facility next to the park. I would like opinions and costs for both

If I take a taxi from the ferry to the southern area to snorkel - what should we be expected to pay? How many people can share a taxi?

I thank you for all insights as to the above

Tennessee
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling on Isla Mujures

Sorry -- I guess I'm on a roll since we just returned last weekend... We checked into snorkeling before we left and when we got there (took our own gear with us...)

Firstly, to our knowledge there's little or no snorkeling on the north end, unless you hire a boat ($40 USD +) to take you further out into the bay... Most of the snorkeling is found centro or south of the island...

Per my earlier posts, we stayed in the Centro location (at Casa Ixchel) and had immediate access to snorkeling / coral reefs only meters form the hotel, at no cost, since we brought our own gear... You can enter the beach from the street, so you would have access to this area regardless of where you stay... Just hop a taxi to the Ixchel, or Turquesa, which is the same location, and walk to the shore...

We did walk form our hotel to Punta Sur and Garrafon, so I can answer your questions... Paying for Garrafon is a rip-off... They make you pay a lot up front (around $50USD for access, gear, etc.) AND make you wear a crazy life jacket to boot... The Garrafon Castille next door is very run down, but has access to the same snorkeling area as the Park at fraction of the cost... It will cost you $30 pesos to access the hotel, bar and showers; and scheduled fees for towel ($20 pesos) and snorkel gear ($50? pesos) rental, a much better bargain, but recognize it is run by locals and is way passed its prime...

But -- It is worth the access to Garrafon park just for the sigh itself... For $5USD pp, you gain access to the art garden, lower ocean cliffs, and the Ixchel ruins... A lovely tourist attraction... (if you went to Chichen Itza, however, this is a disaapointment)...

Hope this helps...

Mentioned in this post
Punta Sur
Punta Sur
2,841 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling on Isla Mujures

While the resort might not be there now due to Wilma, my fiance and I snorkeled via Avalon Reef Resort last month while we were there. For $20/person, we were treated to over an hour trip out to the reef and had a wonderful time while there. I would advise taking your own gear, since most of the places offers less-than-ideal rentals. We went to Garrafon three days later and the snorkeling there wasn't anything to brag about. Hope this helps.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
761 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling on Isla Mujures

Garrafon is definitely worth the money, provided it is still 'there.' All-inclusive option includes buffet meals, drinks, etc. along with snorkeling equipment. Just make sure you bring an underwater camera with you or you'll be paying around $30 for one at their souvenir store. BEAUTIFUL grounds, plenty of things to do there.

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling on Isla Mujures

Yes, Garrafon is definately a beautiful place (if it survived Wilma. We especially enjoyed just walking around and taking in the scenery. The hammocks overlooking the ocean are nice for catching your breath afterwards. The restaurant staff were very helpful and were always there to refill our drinks before we'd even asked. :) The wildlife is abundant and "up close and personal". Garrafon is well worth the admission price and it'd be wise to plan on spending a whole day there....it's that nice!