We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tic-n-Xic Brought Home

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Tic-n-Xic Brought Home

We loved this dish on our last visit so much that we hunted for a recipe and actually found it. We tried it at home and while I still haven't quite nailed the grilling technique, the marinade is just right.

Of course the dish will always taste better while sitting under a palm tree with my toes in the sand but I'm thrilled that we can pull it off at home.

I can't wait to get back to IM for the full monty though.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tic-n-Xic Brought Home

post your recipe!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,348 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tic-n-Xic Brought Home

Also, did you "butterfly" a whole fish like they do or did you use filets?

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tic-n-Xic Brought Home

Laura

I'll be sure post the recipe later tonight.

BTW- Yes I did butterfly the fish. We used Red Snapper.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,348 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tic-n-Xic Brought Home

Wow, sounds awesome! Please post the recipe :)

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tic-n-Xic Brought Home

ok so here goes it folks

I used a Weber Charcoal Grill. Since they cook this on a complete wood fire on IM, I am going to experiment with different types of wood chips to see if I can come close to the wood fire flavor. I also would reccommend some type of self contained fish grilling contraption that makes it easy to flip a whole butterflied fish. Like one of those two sided basket thingies.

I don't think you'll get the full flavor using a gas grill but if that's all you have then why not try. Anyway, here's the recipe. The achiote paste is the main ingredient that makes this happen. We were fortunate enough to literally stumble on a Latin American market that had this readily availabale, among many other little gems. Surely we'll be back there for other ingredients after our next IM trip in January.

Ingredients2 lb Red Snapper

1/2 ts Salt

1 tb Achiote Paste*

1 ts Oregano

5 Garlic cloves, peeled

6 Peppercorns, ground

4 tb Seville Orange Juice*

3 tb Water

Olive Oil

Instructions*If you dont have achiote paste, substitute 1 T. annato seed, ground.* If you dont have Seville orange juice, substitute 2 T orange juice and and 2 T cider vinegar. Combine all ingredients except fish and olive oil in a blender. Blend completely to a paste. Smear the paste onto the fleshy side of the snapper. Allow to marinate overnight. Heat up a charcoal grill. When ready, coat each piece of snapper in olive oil. Then cook approximately 7-10 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Shared by MELANIE MIGUEL, Prodigy ID# MJNT73C.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,356 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tic-n-Xic Brought Home

That sounds awesome, thanks for posting it! And you can use lime juice instead of the vinegar as well, if you're trying to make sour orange, which is what I've seen used before.

Thanks again.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,348 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tic-n-Xic Brought Home

Sounds great! Thanks. Only have a Weber gas grill but what the heck, I'll just throw on some wood chips to fake it :)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tic-n-Xic Brought Home

Thanks for the receipe. I love the fish there! Just to let all of you know, I purchased the achote paste at the Cancun airport on my way home. It was in the main duty free store before you go through security. I purchased two boxes and have used it on chicken but not fish, yet. Now I have a great fish recipe. Going back in Oct and the Xic n Tic (sic) is on my list.

9. Re: Tic-n-Xic Brought Home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 25, 2010