We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR-Privilege Aluxes July 17-23 *long*

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
southampton
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
TR-Privilege Aluxes July 17-23 *long*

Will post as reply.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR-Privilege Aluxes July 17-23 *long*

Post away! We all love trip reports :)

southampton
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: TR-Privilege Aluxes July 17-23 *long*

First trip to Isla Mujeres and it was fantastic. Spend 5 nights at Privilege Aluxes in a Superior room. Resort was practically empty. Breakfast was just the wife and I in the dining room for 4 of the 5 days. One day there was one other couple present. Dinner was the same. Most days just the wife and I in the pool. I day I counted 8 people total in the 3 pools.

First The Good:

Hotel is clean and modern with a perfect location for enjoying the beach, shopping and the restaurants on Hildago.

Room service was slow the first day but used it 2 other times and it was very prompt.

Swim up bar was wonderful, food good, drinks plentiful. They would make your drinks as stiff as you want them. Didn't pay much attention to what top shelf brands was available because I was mostly drinking frozen drinks. Mud slides and mango margarits were great. Beer was limited. Corona on draft and thats all but it grows on you.

Food was mostly good and some great. The ceviche was as good as you can get. Had a tenderloin beef steak in restaurant that was very good and the breakfast buffet was tasty especially the omelette station.

There was a PC in lobby so no need to pack laptop.

The bad:

Not much was bad. The room was small. Had to step around luggage as there was only a couple feet clearance around bed. No drawers to unpack clothes and bathroom, while roomy for one was too cramped for 2 to get dressed. Deck was huge and jacuzzi large enough for 2 persons.

Buffet was kept warm but not hot. No problem, just come early.

Chose the AI option and even tough we didn't eat every meal at resort, felt like it was a great bargain at $20pp. Couple drinks and some ceviche around the pool for lunch and you feel like you got your money's worth. I didn't feel like I was wasting money eating away from the resort.

Food was excellent and inexpensive everywhere we ate. Most restaurants and bars wer 2for1 and beer was around 30 pesos and mixed drinks around 50 pesos.

Dinner at Velaquez of BBQ fish and deviled crab with an order of guacamole and 2 beers was about $11us.

Paid $25 to snorkel the Manchones reef and $55 to go to Isla Contoy. Both trips worth it. No need to rent a golf cart unless you just want to drive around. the shopping/restaurant district is an easy walk from hotel and $4 will take you to other end of island in a taxi.

First time visitor but will make this an annual trip

arkansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR-Privilege Aluxes July 17-23 *long*

Thanks so much for the report!!!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
356 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR-Privilege Aluxes July 17-23 *long*

Thanks for the report!

You know, if the place was that empty, they should have bumped you up to a suite.

southampton
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: TR-Privilege Aluxes July 17-23 *long*

Asked and was turned down. I even complained after the first day about how small the room was and no luck.

Amherst...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR-Privilege Aluxes July 17-23 *long*

Thanks for the report! While I certainly don't expect it to be as sparse in January, it's nice ot know that the overall impressions are positive. It will be interesting to see how they handle peak season.

I live in a good part of the country for summer and since I'm close to the coast of 4 states so I don't travel abroad this time of year, but come January I'll be swooping south with the rest of cold climate gang to escape the crap and I hope this place will be a home run.

And even if it's not, I know IM is!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR-Privilege Aluxes July 17-23 *long*

Great trip report. Sounds like you had a good time. Did you have to wear one of those bracelet things at PA?

southampton
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: TR-Privilege Aluxes July 17-23 *long*

yes

Yorktown, VA
Level Contributor
323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR-Privilege Aluxes July 17-23 *long*

Thanks for the TR! That's the thing about Isla; once you leave you are planning the next one....

10. Re: TR-Privilege Aluxes July 17-23 *long*

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 28, 2010