We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Whale Shark Experience w/Ramon from Searious and Mininos

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Boothwyn...
Level Contributor
348 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
My Whale Shark Experience w/Ramon from Searious and Mininos

I recently returned from my 4 day trip to Mexico primarily to swim with the Whale Sharks. What an experience this was. I had booked my whale shark tour with Ramon from Searious Diving, but the morning we met up with him he told us that he had some cancellations and he didn't have enough people to go out (there was only 3 of us) so he hooked us up with his friend from Mininos. There were 7 of us total on Mininos boat. It was a beautiful day. After we were on our way they served us chicken sandwiches and cold drinks for breakfast. After an hour or so we arrived to where the whale sharks were. There were probably about 20 or so out there where we were. We were only allowed 2 people at a time in the water with our guide and we went in about 5 different times, more if you wanted to.

My girlfriend that was with me had a terrible time in the water. I don't understand it. These boat rides are usually choppy and boats never bother her, but as soon as she gets in the water to snorkel from a boat she looses the contents of her stomach to put it mildly. Why does the snorkeling bother her and the boat doesn't? Whenever we snorkel from shore she's fine, it's just snorkeling from a boat she has this problem. She only went in the water with the whale sharks twice and both times it happened. She declined to go in anymore. Even though this happened she still had a great time and was so happy she did it.

After the whale shark experience they offered us more sandwiches and drinks then we went swimming from our boat near the Avalon Reef Club in Isla. I can never get enough of the Isla water. It's like swimming in a salted swimming pool. I always felt that Cozumel was my most favorite place to go but I'm finding I like Isla Mujeres even more. The beauty of the water is breathtaking. After our swim we had some ceviche that they prepared from their restaurant, Mininos, that they took along. It was delicious and really hit the spot. After they docked the boat we went back to Mininos were their group of 4 ate a late lunch and we left and met Ramon at Bally Hoo Restaurant where he treated us 3 to a great lunch and drinks. We sat there with Ramon eating and talking about our trip for a long while. It was a perfect day and a day I'll never forget.

Boothwyn...
Level Contributor
348 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: My Whale Shark Experience w/Ramon from Searious and Mininos

I could always swim over to the Avalon and snorkel there couldn't I. As I remember, it really isn't that far away is it? Snorkeling is a must for me while on vacation. The Avalon was great for that.

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: My Whale Shark Experience w/Ramon from Searious and Mininos

It's at least half a mile, maybe a tad more to Avalon from Privilege Aluxes. I think I would walk to the Avalon bridge, and enter the water there.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: My Whale Shark Experience w/Ramon from Searious and Mininos

I had a similar experience with Ramon, but my travel companion and I decided that it was worth it to us to pay extra to get him to take us out personally. We were the only passengers on the boat and was it ever worth it! We spent a couple of hours in the water with the sharks, with Valente as our guide. It was an incredible experience; I count it as one of the best of my life (and I'm 61, so I've had a plenty of them). It seemed like there were 100 whale sharks in the area...everywhere you looked. One piece of advice; if you have a 3ml wetsuit, bring it...you won't have to wear a vest, you won't get sunburned and it'll protect you from any jellyfish you may encounter.

On the way back to Isla, we came across a pod of dolphins who hung out with us for several minutes, riding bow waves when they could and swimming around us when they couldn't.

Finally, we too stopped at the Avalon reef where there is a long stretch of huge, pristine Elkhorn coral. It was the perfect ending for the day.

FLORIDA1
Level Contributor
883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: My Whale Shark Experience w/Ramon from Searious and Mininos

Your trip sounds amazing! May I ask how much it costs to get a boat to yourselves? Where there other boats "sharing" the same whale sharks as you? What time did you leave in the morning? Many thanks!

Boothwyn...
Level Contributor
348 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: My Whale Shark Experience w/Ramon from Searious and Mininos

Wow, that sounds like an incredible trip. I would also like to know how much extra you had to pay for a private boat. I know we couldn't of done that, we were really strapped for money this time around but curious though.

16. Re: My Whale Shark Experience w/Ramon from Searious and Mininos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 30, 2010