We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf Cart Rental

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Golf Cart Rental

Going for the day during my Honeymoon. My wife and I like to walk, but I am thinking a golf cart may be better. Does anyone recommend splurging or not on a golf cart if only spend 1 day there?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf Cart Rental

If it's your first time and for 1 day, maybe no golf cart!.

Leave the ferry and to the left are several great food places - Picus and Brisas among them. I myself would remember these places for dinner - and they are right by the ferry when you are ready to leave.

Farther to the left is Playa Sol and around the bend is North Beach. 4-5 blocks long. Jump around and see which parts you like best. Drink and food there. Lounge it, mellow in the water and sun, etc. After that, if you walk east to the end of North Beach, 4-5 blocks, it turns again. Keep going, passed the bridge and over the rocks and the beaches open up - rough water but great views, shells, etc. walk to the end and a sea walk starts. Town is all of 5 x 5 blocks so you can double back and browse the shops and eateries.

There is enough in town with beaches, food, drink, shopping and touring to last the afternoon. Carts - are about $50, 9-5! Do a cart another time - when you come to Isla and stay a week!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf Cart Rental

Ok...I realized I should have provided more info on what I want to do while on Isla. I am staying in Playa Mujeres at EPM. I would like to arrive at Isla early around 8 or 9 am. My wife and I are bringing snorkeling gear and would like to snorkel, but not an all-day trip, since we want to enjoy the island, I also hear the sunsets are incredible. I was thinking renting a cart to see the island in record time, snorkeling at Garrafon Hotel, and maybe go out on a short boat snorkel trip. Return the cart, eat dinner and watch a sunset. Would a cart be necessary to see the island in 2-3 hours?

Bayfield, WI
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf Cart Rental

Yes. A cart is the best way. The other options are taxi, mopeds or rent bikes. We got a cart for 3 days in April for a bit over $40/day by using all my negotiating skills.

Don't expect much for snorkeling. You may want to consider a 3 hour trip by small boat to El Farolito which is just off shore on the west side. Snorkel tours are readily available at the ferry landing. Garaffon Park is an all exclusive on the south end that will cost you about %50/person/day. Fair snorkeling is available right next door at Garaffon de Castilla for a $4 daily fee plus a small fee for equipment rental.

Remember Isla is only 7 miles long so you can drive around the island in an hour. Get out and explore, especially on the rocky east side.

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf Cart Rental

I second the vote for using a cart. We've always used Ciro's and have never had a problem with them or their carts. As was mentioned earlier, IM is not a large island and can easily be traveled end to end in around 15 minutes. There is much to see (Turtle Farm, Garrafon, Dolphin Discovery, etc), which carting would provide more time to do vs. walking. The east shore up from the lighthouse provides ample shell collecting, especially after a storm or rough seas. Watering holes and eateries abound and all are fairly inexpensive compared to Cancun. We spent our honeymoon on IM and loved it. It's a special place, so don't be surprised to find yourself making plans to return even before you've left the island. :)

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf Cart Rental

I would definitely recommend you splurge on the golf cart. I'd contact Laura Mapchick and have a map of the island in-hand as you explore, marking your favs and circling those you missed and want to see your next visit. Believe me, you will have a "next visit" after spending just one day.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf Cart Rental

Voting for cart rental. It's a fun and interesting drive around the island. There are beautiful vistas, interesting places: parks, a conch-shell house, cemetary. Neat sunning/swimming at Norte Beach.

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
161 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf Cart Rental

For a one day trip, I'd normally suggest renting a cart. BUT - if you plan to go out on a snorkel trip too, you may want to consider using a taxi for a tour. You'll only be able to have a cart between 9 and 5 when they are open. It would be more worth it if you had a 24-hour rental and took time out for a snorkel tour. But with a 9-5 rental I might consider other options if I wasn't going to use it the full day.

Plutarco speaks excellent English and will give you a nice 2-4 hour tour for a very fair price. His cell phone is 998.145.9747

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,574 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf Cart Rental

Another vote for golf cart. You can pretty much circle the island in about an hour so I'd rent one just for that. It would still leave you plenty of time to do other things.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golf Cart Rental

Hi! It will also be my first trip to Isla, in June. We were planning on renting a cart when we got there in the afternoon, and then driving our baggage around while we find a place to stay. If we plan on keeping the cart for another couple days, does it still need to be returned each day at 5? Or can we park them outside the hotel overnight?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,574 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golf Cart Rental

You don't need to return them at 5. You can rent by the hour, or 9 - 5 (day), or overnight. Depending on where you hotel is, you should be able to park in front or in their lot.