We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach and Hotel question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ohio
Level Contributor
335 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Beach and Hotel question

Looking for a small little hotel (inexpensive and clean) that sits on a beach area where you can wake up and walk for long stretches without climbing over rocks and seaweed? Is there such a palce at Isla Mujeres? Thanks, Rick

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,989 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach and Hotel question

Are you planning on going in the high season or low season? Prices vary widely. Provided you mean between now and the holiday season in December, there's Posada del Mar across from a great beach. A room runs around 60 dollars. There's also Vistalmar near the ferry station. I think it's even less than Posada. Then there's Villa Kiin, depending on room type, you could do it for under 100. It's around the corner from North Beach.

Ohio
Level Contributor
335 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach and Hotel question

We'll be going next January; likely 2nd or 3rd week.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach and Hotel question

There are many small hotels on Isla - just depends on what amenities you want. As well, there are also some very affordable apartments as well. While many of these aren't on the beach, they are near there - and there are some great areas to walk - I did that almost every morning during my last Isla vacation.

www.isla-mujeres.net/accommodations.htm is a good link that shows where the lodgings are located, which is helpful.

www.islamujeres.info - for more details, photos and a great forum! :)

http://islabudgetrentals.com/home Gladys is wonderful to work with a booking a budget place.

January is a busy time on Isla - you will need to book soon. Hope this helps a bit. :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,989 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach and Hotel question

Ok, then change those rates to higher. Like Posada is 100 in January, and the others go up as well. I still consider them a bargain as far as beautiful beaches and a Caribbean vacation are concerned in high season :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
335 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach and Hotel question

Thanks coalminer!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach and Hotel question

You are welcome - I actually prefer the smaller hotels. :)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,150 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach and Hotel question

My question for the original poster is what he considers 'walking on a long stretch of beach'? For me, that would mean several miles, and I'm not sure there's anywhere on Isla where that can be done.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,989 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach and Hotel question

Not for miles, that's true, but you can pretty much start with the beach across from Posada and make it all the way to the one in front of Villa Kiin around the bend from Playa Norte.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach and Hotel question

And by starting at the malecon, you can walk alongside the ocean for a long ways . . . though it isn't true beach walking - but then Isla is only 5 miles long! :)

Ohio
Level Contributor
335 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach and Hotel question

My wife likes to get a mile or so in walking the beach each morning and I know she would prefer to do it with as far laps as possible. Thanks