We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costs on Isla?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New England
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Costs on Isla?

I'm comparing costs on Isla versus elsewhere on the Yucatan peninsula and wondered about the costs of:

Lunch or dinner for two at a local restaurant (not fancy)

Glass of wine, cocktail or beer at same.

Six pack of beer at a supermarket or liquor store.

Taxi from downtown to La Gloria, a good beach mid island (Lancheros?)

Cost of renting a beach chair and/or umbrella at a Playa Norte beach club.

Cost of lunch at same.

Finally can anyone comment on local costs (excluding lodging which appears less expensive) versus Cancun (the town, not the hotel zone), Playa del Carmen, Akumal or Puerto Morelos?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costs on Isla?

Where to start?

You can buy a 10 pesos (? … $.84) taco, a $6 chicken lunch/dinner, eggs from $2.50 to $7, or spend $150 having gourmet cuisine served on silver under glass with French wine.

Per person, average:

B’fast - $3-5

Lunch $4-12

Dinner $6-30.

Beers are $1.50-4.00, depending. Many places that charge more are 2-4-1. Mixed drink/wine $4-7, again, 2-4-1. Chlies Locos has my fav margs, $5, 2-4-1. Any be alert, some cheaper places don’t really pour that much alcohol.

Beer in stores about $1/can (Bottle cost more, have a return deposit and if you break on at the pool) Superior Brewery is about 1 mile down Medina south from the ferry.

Taxis used to be $5 from town to Punta Sur. Now, I’d say $4 to mid island. Always ask before getting in.

On North Beach, usually lounges and umbrellas are $5 each, usually with a ticket for a drink each. Some places have free lounges etc., if you eat and drink there.

Overall, cheaper than the rest of the Cancun and Riviera area.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costs on Isla?

Just a few answers...

Lunch or dinner at a local restaurant (not fancy) - under $20 US.

Taxi from downtown to La Gloria - $2 US (a little more if you have luggage or more than 2 people).

A good beach mid-island - as long as sea grass is acceptable, then Playa Lancheros or Zama.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,768 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costs on Isla?

Lunch at Sergio's Playa Sol runs us around 20 dollars. I usually have the chicken tacos and guacamole, and my husband has the shrimp or seafood soup. Loungers and umbrella are free if you eat/drink there.

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
161 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costs on Isla?

You've pretty much already found your answer - when you find an area where accommodations are lower priced, generally everything else is also. This is true of Isla Mujeres; it is less expensive than Tulum, Puerto Aventuras, Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Puerto Morelos, Isla Holbox, or Cancun, for food and beverage in most cases. Some things are more expensive, like personal items and paper products. If you stay long-term or for those with houses, we often stock items from Walmart, Cosco or Sam's Club in Cancun. But for your basic vacation, that is not necessary.

If you travel during low season, consider a bargain hotel like Posada del Mar which has a beach club and includes two free chairs - so you don't have to rent them. Or spend time at Segio's Playa Sol where chairs are free if you eat or drink.

Lunches run about $50MP (less than $5) at the loncherias (not the tourist spots on the beach). 6-pack about $60MP (less than $1/beer) when purchased from the least expensive stores. Sodas at restaurants tend to run $12-$15MP, with bottled water $8-$15.

A taxi to La Gloria from downtown is $20MP (less than $2), but La Gloria does not have swimmable beaches. If you take a taxi to Casa Tix-N-Xic (used to be Playa Lancheros) it will cost you more. A taxi to the south end from the downtown area is now $60. That is the highest rate, so everything will be in between $20 and $60. You can take the bus inexpensively, and it runs the top 2/3 of the island (does not go south of LaGloria). You can take the bus to the turnaround in front of the Isla Mujeres Palace and walk the remaining tiny bit to Tix-n-Xic, or up Sac Bajo for a day at Zama Beach Club (a little more expensive, but a nice day).

If you do rent chairs, prices vary - usually about $150MP for two chairs and one umbrella for the day. Lunches are more expensive at these places than the loncherias. Plan on $75-$125pp. But once again, I'll throw in the Posada del Mar Beach Club idea. Even if you don't stay at the hotel. $150 for two chairs and umbrella. They have 2X1 beer all day, $30MP for two. They have just opened a beach food stand and have a beer and hamburger for $65, a sampler snack platter of quesadillas, nachos, wings and guacamole with 4 beers for $125, and other combos like that with prices in between, some fantastic deals.

Taxis are less, busses are less, food and beverage are less, renting chairs is less compared to any other area you'd visit by flying into Cancun. This is definitely the least expensive tourist spot in the area.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costs on Isla?

Isla Mujeres is a very good bargain. Everyone else has already given you the run-down on prices, so I won't do that again :)

Akumal lodging and restaurants are more, plus it costs alot more to get there, you don't have near the choices of restaurants.

Puerto Morelos isn't bad as far as prices go, but again not near the choices for lodging or restaurants. The beach in Puerto is less crowded and more natural, there are one or two places where you can rent chairs where the beach is raked and cleaned. PM is a nice little town, most people who like Isla Mujeres like Puerto Morelos too. Pm is more laid back than Isla.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Costs on Isla?

Whoah. There's a brewery on Isla? did I read that correct?

Do they do tours?

one of my favorite things to do when traveling is find the local brews.

I had the BEST beer ever up in Anchorage, Alaska. Alas, I probably won't ever get to have it again.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costs on Isla?

I think it is not truly a brewery, I am pretty sure it is the Superior warehouse and beer store.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Costs on Isla?

Whether they make it or store it, it's beer. :)

norwalk ct
Level Contributor
499 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costs on Isla?

If you want to help isla buy bottles of beer that have a deposit,theres enough garbage on isla and they don't need more emty cans or bottles.you may pay a little more,but i don't think so,but the garbage you save even just a few bottles will really help.

HAPPY EARTH DAY TO ALL.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costs on Isla?

Brewery? I did say that and … my bad, it is not a brewery, just a warehouse supply depot. With beer!