We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Room for One Night

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Room for One Night

Husband and I will be staying down towards Akumal for a couple of weeks but would like to wander up to Cancun and Isla for a day. Don't want to haul all our stuff, so am looking for a nice clean place to sleep for the night. Only requirements, clean, ac and queen or king bed. Walking distance to shops/restaurants. Traveling in Sept.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Room for One Night

There are lots of options withing walking dist from the ferry. Try Isla Beckons or Kathryn's Travel websites for good pics and locations. Google or find link on Islamujeres.net. Anything in town is walkable and great selection of restaurants, shops, access to Northbeach, etc. You'll love Isla. Very different pace than Cancun.

Carroll Gardens
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Room for One Night

Good to use agents but for 1 day in Sep low season with hurricane season - Isla is quiet.

Many places will have rooms, right across from ferry is Gomar ($50 ??), to left of ferry is Vistalmar ($30 and up) and further to the left is Posada del mar ($50 and up). Isla is 5 x 5 so town is right there - main drag at nightime is get off ferry and walk 2 blocks to Hidalgo.

Many others is Frances Arlene, Xbulu, Almendros, Bucaneeros, suites at Los Arcos, too many to mention.

But come and just walk - in Sept usually many rooms around. But agent will be very helpful too.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Room for One Night

Thanks for the suggestions. Posada del Mar looks interesting. Sounds like construction should be done by the time we get there.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Room for One Night

The easiest would be the hotel d'Gomar - as it is directly across from the ferry docks . . . walk across the street and you are home. Posada has more amenities and their very nice new pool. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Room for One Night

Yes Gomar is basic but right acros from the ferry.

Posada is to the left about 3 blocks but nicer - if it matters for 1 night.

Me - Posada. Go to Romi's bar there and get flaming mayasacrifice and a beer, go to Hidalgo or the waterfront or ... ONE NIGHT WOULD HAVE ME OVERFED ... I can think of several must have dinners, haha!

Posada is a like a little estate with space and ... well, it's been redone and I believe is finished. If ya wanna just flop in a bed do Vistalmar, but Gomar is nicer, Posadastill nicer and it is a matter ofeeling and quality of vacation.

Enjoy!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Room for One Night

Going in Sept-so should have no problem finding a room. But is it unusual to just walk up and say here I am. Will they give you a good deal or are you better off setting something up ahead of time?

Is it normal to negotiate a walk up rate, especially late in the day? Never been brave enough to do that.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Room for One Night

no, I don't think walk ups are weird - I know there are people that do that even during high season and I am sure it occurs quite a lot during the low season. I just like knowing where I am going to stay. If there vacancy is low, you could try to negotiate . . . that just isn't me. Good luck! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Room for One Night

Penny wise, pound foolish.

Negotiating does occur but ...

... let's say a hotel has 5 rooms available: 2 with views and nice, 2 with obstructed views and a little worn, and 1 with no view and outdated everything.

All rooms are priced equally but you negotiate a cheaper rate. WHICH ROOM WILL YOU GET??

Chances are good ... you'll get the no view, tired old room.

If that does not matter to you, go for it.

BTW, I hear Posada is done ... ??? Pictures of the front and the new pool look very nice.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Room for One Night

Back when it was just Perry and I traveling, we never booked rooms in advance at any time of year, part of the fun was showing up and seeing what we could get. But, with a couple of kids it's not that much fun :(

You'll have no problem getting a walk-up in September, I'd even give Rocamar a shot.

10. Re: Budget Room for One Night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, October 19, 2009