We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

debating between house and hotel.....can anyone help?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
lmh
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
debating between house and hotel.....can anyone help?

Does anyone know anything about the "yellow house" , former naval commanders house, now for rent, on the "thin part of the island"? It says within walking distance of town, but I'm not sure how far that is. It looks lovely with lots of room and views. I don't know whether we'd be better off there (5 of us, 3 teenagers) or at a downtown place like Posada or Maria del Mar with 2 rooms and closer to restaurants shopping etc. There are also some good house choices with excellent rates on the southern end. I hate my indecision. Thanks to former posters who gave me tips and websites. The more I read, the more confused I get.......

:( Who knew trip planning could be so hard?!?

ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: debating between house and hotel.....can anyone help?

The yellow house is an easy walk to town for restaurants (10 min.) and shopping, but it's at least a 20 minute walk to Playa Norte, whereas Posada and Maria del Mar have pools and beaches right there or across the street. I think house rntals are an excellent option for families who want more space and comfort and quality time together. And certainly taking some meals at home can save a lot of $$$. But personally, I would not pick a house on Isla unless it had a pool or a swimmable beach to keep the teenagers entertained. On Isla, it's all about the water.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,498 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: debating between house and hotel.....can anyone help?

Personally, unless I was going for a very long time, I'd never rent a house. There are so many great places to eat, and with few exceptions, most so reasonable that I wouldn't want to be cooking on my vacation. And that's really the only advantage I can see for renting a house. And as the poster above said, unless the house has a pool and/or is near a swimmable beach, I think teenagers (and even their parents) may get a bit bored and feel isolated.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,532 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: debating between house and hotel.....can anyone help?

Well, I was recently in Isla with 3 teens, so we rented an apartment. If I were only staying a few days, I think I would go with a hotel. But if I were staying more than 5 days, I would go with a condo/apartment/house. Getting 3 teens fed and out the door is a task . . . much easier when you have at least a simple kitchen where you stay. They can snack when they are hungry and breakfast is just much easier "in" though we ate a few of those out too. We generally ate dinner out, so it still felt like a vacation. We didn't have a pool, but we went to the beach every day and the kids were very happy there. We also like being right in town, though a good compromise would be the airstrip, so you could still walk in to town. I don't know the yellow house - does it have a name?

Yes, I know what you mean - it is hard to decide . . . but you will find something and even if it isn't perfect, you'll be on Isla. :)

lmh
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: debating between house and hotel.....can anyone help?

Coalminer, where did you stay? at an apartment in town? Heres what I like about a hotel: being able to walk across the street (hopefully) to a beach with little effort; being close (walking)to food and shops; and the feeling of being part of the town.What I DON'T relish is being crammed in a hotel room with 2 17 year old girls and all their STUFF!! or the thought of even entering the second room with my husband and 14 yr old son (picture mini frat house) :( If we were in a house, even on the airstrip, which is close by I think?, we'd still have to load up in a golf cart with beach stuff to get to good beaches, correct? Its just a tradeoff of room vs. convenience it seems. Thanks for everyones input. I'm closing in on a decision.....

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
880 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: debating between house and hotel.....can anyone help?

We stayed at the airport strip last year and found ourselves packing it up every morning to go to the beach in town, heading back late afternoon, then back in the cab for dinner. Even for the four of us it got old. I would recommend you check with Gladys at www.islabudgetrentals.com and see if she has something in town for you. She might have two apartments next to each other for the price of a house out on the air strip or beyond. Teenagers want to be near the water, at least ours did. Getting you all out the door for the beach at one time would be a nightmare!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
880 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: debating between house and hotel.....can anyone help?

We stayed at the airport strip last year and found ourselves packing it up every morning to go to the beach in town, heading back late afternoon, then back in the cab for dinner. Even for the four of us it got old. I would recommend you check with Gladys at www.islabudgetrentals.com and see if she has something in town for you. She might have two apartments next to each other for the price of a house out on the air strip or beyond. Teenagers want to be near the water, at least ours did. Getting you all out the door for the beach at one time would be a nightmare!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,532 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: debating between house and hotel.....can anyone help?

lmh: I can totally relate to what you are saying. We stayed in Gladys apartment - budget, but complete and very spacious - worked great for us. http://islabudgetrentals.com/home

We were just a short 10 minute walk to our favorite beaches. We never rented a golf cart - each kid has their own backpack, so no problems with beach stuff. While places right in town (centro) might not be right on the beach, the beach is just a few blocks away from most accommodations. :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,532 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: debating between house and hotel.....can anyone help?

Harley beat me! :)

Hey - Gladys rents out for Casa Espana - not a fancy place, but a hotel with kitchenettes, a beautiful garden area and a small pool - you could probably rent 2 units side by side for the price of many other lodgings. Gladys is wonderful to work with - email her and see what she has available. Just another thought. :)

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,454 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: debating between house and hotel.....can anyone help?

Notwithstanding that most houses are a bit more removed from town, I think you will LOVE having a house (or even a condo)on Isla Mujeres. There is so much extra space and often an extra bathroom (which may help get the girls out the door sooner!).

We used to rent condos and houses all over Mexico and Europe the time when the kids were little. Now they're 10 and 14, we love AI ... mainly because they're both eating machines and AI really caters to that. However, on Isla Mujeres, I would politely suggest that AI is a waste of time and money given the plethora of great restaurants that you'll have to choose from.

I don't know how committed you are to the "yellow house". The Punta Piedra properties have always received rave reviews and they share a private pool. To the best of my recollection though, they've only got two bedrooms and I'm pretty sure they're not walking distance to town .... but you could always rent a golf cart.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
844 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: debating between house and hotel.....can anyone help?

I posted this on another forum: www.islamujeres.info Although we have younger kids I hope you find some of the suggestions helpful

I would suggest that you stay in the Centro area as it is a short walk to about everything you need.

Our family of six, four boys, (10, 8, 7, & 5, at the time), faced the same dilemma. With six of us we had to either get a house, apartment, condo, or two hotel rooms. After a couple of months of internet, phone calls, etc. We settled on two side by side rooms at Hotel Plaza Almendros, (PA). We used Lost Oasis to book the room for us. We got rooms #s 15 & 16. They have two beds each and are just a few steps from the shallow “kid’s area” of the pool. With the kids I think the pool is a must have. PA rooms have a fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, (bring your own basket type filters), wardrobe, and safe. We found it convenient and easier on the budget to often have breakfast and or lunch at our rooms. The staff is excellent, very kid friendly. PA is right in the middle of Centro, and all the restaurants, bars, etc. It’s an easy five minute walk to the beach. We often made the walk to the beach twice a day. Cool ice cream next door. For our family it was perfect.

When we looked at the cost two rooms at PA was about the same or cheaper than a condo or apartment in the same area. If I recall we paid about $ 130.00 a night for the two rooms. With younger kids having everything within short walking distance was just the ticket for us.

Initially we resigned ourselves to my wife and me staying in separate rooms with our boys. We did that for a couple of nights. We ended up with all kinds of sleeping arrangements between the two rooms. Every one in one room, four kids and one adult in one room, (I think you can figure out what happened when all our boys went to sleep, “Mom how come you weren’t in our room when we woke up?). Two kids and one parent in each room, etc. We felt safe enough to let our kids stay in the room by themselves after they went to sleep. We would lock the door from the outside and the oldest boy was in charge of the room and knew that we were next door. You can open the door from the inside when locked from the outside. We took two portable smoke / carbon monoxide detectors (I’m an ex firefighter). We were almost always up before our boys were and had our morning coffee on the patio. They were so worn out by the end of the day that they went to sleep in minutes. Then we had time to ourselves for an extra trip to Cool or a Sol, or a couple of margaritas on the patio from one of the bars or restaurants near by, “bring the glasses back tomorrow”.

If you haven’t already check out our trip reports. Jones Gang / Hogfamily. If you go down the list a-ways you can find our suggestions for traveling with kids. “ Isla with the Jones Gang”.

If you have any questions you can email us at: hogfamily@gci.net.