We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the going fare from the Puerto Jaurez

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
what is the going fare from the Puerto Jaurez

What is the taxi fare from the port to the airport? Is there a better place to hail a cab? How long does it take? How much time will I need at the airport, roughly?

Would the bus be better and how often does it run?

Thanks. I'll be in Isla on Friday in time for a late lunch!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the going fare from the Puerto Jaurez

The official rate from PJ to the airport is 270 pesos.

If you walk away from the dock and flag one down you may get a bit cheaper rate.

The bus runs about every 1/2 hour, taxi to the bus station about $4.00

You should leave the island at least 3 1/2 hours before your flight.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is the going fare from the Puerto Jaurez

thank you! We will be there in just a few days.

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is the going fare from the Puerto Jaurez

So this idea of van service for $65-$70 is not necessary at all?

I could get a taxi at the airport to take me to PJ...for 270 pesos (roughly)?

Is there an ADO that would take me from CUN to PJ? How far away from the PJ pier do they drop you off?

and the ferry is how much?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,904 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is the going fare from the Puerto Jaurez

Best Day is a van service that is only $17pp/rt - cheaper than a taxi, but it is not a private van. The charges of $65-70 is for a private van.

Ferry is $3.50 one way. Happy travels! :)

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: what is the going fare from the Puerto Jaurez

Wineott, you can NOT catch a taxi from the airport to Puerto Juarez for 270 pesos. It is 270 pesos from Puerto Juarez TO the airport. The taxi syndicate doubles the price going in the other direction.

Chicago
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: what is the going fare from the Puerto Jaurez

do we have to reserve for the ferry?

or how often does the ferry go from the port to isla mujeres?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,904 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what is the going fare from the Puerto Jaurez

ferry runs from early in the morning until late at night. I don't have the exact schedule, but I think it goes from about 5am to 11pm, usually every half hour until about 9pm, then it is every hour. :)

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
161 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what is the going fare from the Puerto Jaurez

Ferry is on the half hour starting at 5:30 for the island to the mainland - but often the first ferry does not go. Don't count on one until the 6AM ferry. From the mainland to the island they start running on the 1/2 hour at 8:30PM, with the last ferry to the island at 11:30PM.

While it is true the rates are higher departing the airport, the taxi syndicate does not double rates from the airport. In fact taxis take you TO the airport, but don't take you FROM the airport.

The vehicles leaving the airport with new arrivals are Green Line, which pay huge fees to be at the airport (look like taxis, but are technically transfer companies). The reason the rates are high, is because it costs them a lot to be there. Current rates are very high one-way from the airport to the ferry. Or they are other transfer companies offereing pre-arranged services, like USA Transfers, Best Day, etc. It is a "share the wealth" system that doesn't make a lot of sense environmentally. Take a transfer away from the airport, and then take a taxi to return (or a pre-arranged roundtrip return transfer).

When you can get a private roundtrip transfer for $65, that makes the most sense - rather than paying a lot more than that by waiting till arrival - basically the return is free when you pre-arrange vs waiting. (Unless you use the bus - much less $$ but more hassles and time wasted.)

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
161 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what is the going fare from the Puerto Jaurez

I have trouble with this site - sometimes hitting the return key twice posts before I mean to...

Not worded well - the ferry from mainland to island runs on the 1/2 hour all day until 8:30PM. Then they are just hourly till 11:30PM.

Plan on anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 1/2 hours to get through the airport - it all depends on the immigration and customs lines. If you take a transfer or "taxi" away from the airport, it is about 30 minutes to the ferry. Plan on longer if you are using the bus - it only departs every 1/2 hour, and once you arrive downtown you need to hail a taxi to the ferry.

If you take the ferry that leaves 3 hours prior to your flight if you are taking a pre-arranged transfer back, or a taxi, that is good enough. But if you plan to take the bus back, push that back to leaving the island 4 hours prior to your flight.

10. Re: what is the going fare from the Puerto Jaurez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, September 13, 2009