We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about ferry runs to Isla Mujeres

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
crw
Seattle
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question about ferry runs to Isla Mujeres

We will be arriving at the airport in Cancun around 4:15pm and heading straight out to Isla Mujeres. I just wanted to confirm (from what I have seen on postings) that the only ferry that would still be running is in Puerto Juarez????

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about ferry runs to Isla Mujeres

There are at least four ferry services to Isla Mujeres, two in Puerto Juarez (about five minutes apart), one in Punta Sam, and one from the Embarcadero in the Hotel Zone. The one that is most convenient for tourists heading from the airport directly to the island is the UltraMar ferry that runs from Gran Puerto Cancun in Puerto Juarez. I say it is most convenient because it is five minutes closer to the airport, has the most crossings every day (every half hour) and the most comfortable waiting area. There is another older ferry terminal nearby in Puerto Juarez with somewhat less frequent service to the island. If you want the quickest way to the island from the airport, ask your driver to take you to Gran Puerto Cancun. No harm if you end up at the other Puerto Juarez terminal, however. Tickets are the same price and purchased at a storefront at either terminal before boarding. 35 pesos each way per person. How quickly you get to the island may depend ultimately on how closely you happen to hit the departure time for the next ferry at either terminal in Puerto Juarez. Buen viaje!

crw
Seattle
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about ferry runs to Isla Mujeres

Thank you for the info. I will pass this on to our travel agent. I did not realize that the UltraMar ferry that runs from Gran Puerto Cancun in Puerto Juarez is closer to the airport. I've only been to Cancun once and it seemed like Puerto Juarez was on the opposite end of the hotel zone from where we stayed (mariott casamagna) and I thought the airport was closer to this hotel. I'm confused. Must be a direct/alternate route to Pt Juarez from the airport that I am not aware of????? I'm pretty sure it was the UltraMar ferry that we took. Isn't that more like a speed boat?

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about ferry runs to Isla Mujeres

It will still take at least 25 minutes from the Airport to the Isla ferry. When I say Gran Puerto is closer to the airport than the older ferry terminal at Puerto Juarez, I mean only that is a few hundred yards closer to the airport. (You pass Gran Puerto on the way to the older PJ terminal). Both terminals are north of the Hotel Zone, but on the mainland, so if you don't have to detour through the hotel zone peninsula, you can save time getting to Isla.