We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Shark trip - Holbox VS Isla de Mujeres

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Shark trip - Holbox VS Isla de Mujeres

We have heard about both places to go Whale shark snorkeling. Is there a difference ??

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Shark trip - Holbox VS Isla de Mujeres

Same whale sharks... same regulations. Snorkeling but no scuba permitted. Often the trip to the whale sharks area is longer from Isla than from Holbox, but I understand that THIS season that has not been the case. (And obviously the trip TO Isla from Cancun is shorter than the trip to Holbox.) On the other hand, I believe that there is one operator on Holbox who gives you a money-back guarantee on seeing the creatures. I don't think anyone on Isla makes that promise. I think I'd pick my departure island based on which island I'd rather see when I am NOT making the whale shark trip. Holbox is more rustic, away-from-it-all. Isla has more restaurants, lodging choices, and more scuba sites.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Shark trip - Holbox VS Isla de Mujeres

Thank you so much. I was thinking that IM would be more exciting but Holbox would be more authentic. I think I will go to IM for the food and shopping.

I just wanted to make sure that there was not 4o Whalesharks in Holbox and 5 in IM, with less people on board the boat. That is the main reason I was thinking Holbox might be better place. I did find guarantees for both sites.

Can you recommend a great dive operator ?? We are staying in Cancun and want a dive day in both Cozumel and Cancun.

Thanks again

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,887 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Shark trip - Holbox VS Isla de Mujeres

I haven't been to Holbox but would like to someday . . . as far as diving goes, Cozumel is superior to anywhere else in the Yucatan and there are a ton of dive operators. I would hop on the Coz forum and post there - as well, there are a couple of other forums for Coz, and diving is the hot discussion there. A basic google search should bring those up - many lodgings offer specials for divers too. Oh - and there are more maps available that will help you from the mapchick- www.cancunmap.com. They make 2 for Coz - one for the island and one for just diving/snorkeling. Good luck! :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,887 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Shark trip - Holbox VS Isla de Mujeres

Oh, here is a great link for Holbox: http://www.locogringo.com/holbox/ :)

5. Re: Whale Shark trip - Holbox VS Isla de Mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 07, 2009