We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My kids and I volunteering at the school

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
everett wa
Level Contributor
808 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
My kids and I volunteering at the school

Hi eveyone! So were going on a 10 day trip to isla and cancun and my husband will be diving alot so I would like see if they would let us come to the school and help out. I read in a guide book that the schools are teaching english and I think it would be a great experience for my kids. Anyone heard of this or done this? I would also like to bring some supplies.

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: My kids and I volunteering at the school

Read the website for for the non-profit group that supports La Gloria English School located in the middle of Isla Mujeres. Friends of La Gloria English School welcomes observers, volunteers, and donors. The website tells you the rules and what they need. wwwdotfolgesdotorg. www.folges.org

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My kids and I volunteering at the school

Along with the great info that Chatelaine gave you, they also recently started one agency that provides for several different projects on Isla . . . you should check out their site (http://www.peace-islamujeres.org/) as well as read here on TA from Mr.Hola about things to bring as well - it was a good thread.

We usually always bring donations when we travel to Isla, though I haven't volunteered yet, I have known several people who have and have some retired teacher friends that will be doing some of that this winter during their vacation. Good for you - let us know how it goes! :)

Oh - and other more active forum for info is www.islamujeres.info - great site! Good luck.

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My kids and I volunteering at the school

We haven't volunteered either; however we did bring supplies last time. At the time (this past winter) they really needed printer paper since a lot of people (including us) don't bring it due to the weight of it (I just overheard this in a converstaion); however they are grateful for any/all items. There is a list of items they need on their website. We donated to the English school. I think that you have to volunteer at least 4 days in a row for an hour or two if I remember correctly. Have a great trip!

everett wa
Level Contributor
808 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My kids and I volunteering at the school

Thanks for the advice. We are staying on isla for 5 days so I think we meet the guidelines. I checked out the websites and got the info and will get in touch with them. I think this is going to be a great experience for my 8+10 year old. I can also check 4 pieces of luggage on Alaska air so I will have an extra bag for some supplies. I also read mr. holas posts and got alot of info .Thanks everyone!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My kids and I volunteering at the school

hey, I thought I was the meanestmom!

We haven't volunteered at the school yet, but have heard from many who have and it was a very good experience.

I have another school in Isla that is also close to my heart and that is the Litte Yellow Schoolhouse, it's a school for special needs kids on the island

http://littleyellowschoolhouse.org/

everett wa
Level Contributor
808 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My kids and I volunteering at the school

Thanks mapchick. Yep, Im the meanestmom...but today I was "momster." I didnt know whether to laugh my a** off or hang them by their thumbs. Maybe its better my girls dont speak spanish, wouldnt want them teaching the school kids anything new.LOL

7. Re: My kids and I volunteering at the school

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, October 04, 2009