We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day for Whale Shark Trip

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day for Whale Shark Trip

Ok wife and I are heading down to Villa Rolandi in July and will be there Sat - Thurs. I see that Ramon with the Whale Shark tour is pretty well recommended and I was wondering what day would be best to go. I know when we visited Cozumel they told us the days that the Cruise Ships were visiting and to stay at the hotel those days to avoid the crowds.

Any suggestions for what day would be better or worse would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,880 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day for Whale Shark Trip

I do know that they restrict how many can go in certain areas (for snorkeling/whale shark tours/Isla Contoy) . . . so I don't think you have to worry about a crowd.

As well, the daytrippers from Cancun aren't that bad - nothing like when cruise boats dock on Coz. They are mainly there in the main part of the day, and some stay in designated areas - mostly it just impacts the downtown shopping areas and a few beaches. You will be fine on Isla - especially since it is low season as well - have a great trip! :)

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
465 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day for Whale Shark Trip

Email Delia or Nelson at the hotel (Villa Rolandi) - they will be able to help you arrange the whale shark tour and will most likely be able to tell you which is the best day to book! (if they dont know-they will find out for you!) They are very prompt and always happy to help! Have stayed at V.R. twice and loved it - everything and everyone is wonderful! (just got back last month)

Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day for Whale Shark Trip

If I were you, I would consider another alternative to Cpt. Ramon. He has a great reputation, but my wife and I wanted a bit bigger boat to be out on those seas, so I choose the Lilly M, a large, modern dea sea fishing boat (with a bathroom!). Their offices are located in the Hotel Playa de la Media Luna, a beautiful hotel right on the water. It's a family run place, and they run both deep sea fishing AND whale shark tours. It's a bit more intimate--you and at least one other couple have a whole 35 ft. fishing boat with stern platform to get in and out of the water. It's a modern, diesel-powered craft. I suggest you consider a larger vessel like this, because of how it handles in the open seas (reduces any motion sickness tendencies). And the captain made the best Mahi Mahi ceviche for lunch I've ever had! And get ready when you see those whale sharks. They are so huge, and it looks like they're barely moving, but they ARE cruising fast with that huge tail, and you can barely keep up, flippering away as fast as you can! And that warm feeling you have in your swimsuit? It's because they are so huge, the humble the living p*ss out of you!

Enjoy yourselves whomever you decide to go with.

Big Steve Smith

4. Re: Day for Whale Shark Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:33 am, October 02, 2009