We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Isla Mujeres Palace anywhere near Garrafon?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
223 reviews
Save Topic
Is Isla Mujeres Palace anywhere near Garrafon?

Hello everyone, hope some of you can help; I am looking at visiting isla for the day whilest staying near Cancun in July. Last time we visited Oct 2005 - just before Wilma) we had checked out the advice and got the yellow ferry over, from Puerto Jerez, then hired a golf buggy and explored. We had a wonderful day, and I think it was the best day of our holiday. We plan to visit again in July. The one problem we had was that we visited castilo de garaffon, next to garrafon park, and my family loved the snorkling! however, I struggled to access as I use a wheelchair most of the time. On this trip we are staying at one of the palace hotels so can use facilities of them all, so I am hoping that the IM Palace is near Garrafon, so my family can drop me off at the palace hotel, where I can get a drink, some lunch and sunbathe, whilst they visit garrafon to snorkle. Can anyone tell me if this is do-able or any other suggestions. Thanks xxx

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Palace anywhere near Garrafon?

hey juejosh :)

yes, it's doable, Garrafon is a little over a mile from the Palace hotel.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Palace anywhere near Garrafon?

Hey Mapchick, you are giving me very good advice today! Do you, or anybody else, know if there is any good snorkling to be had from IM Palace? and or is there an accessable beach? Thanks for all your great advice xxx

ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Palace anywhere near Garrafon?

I hate to correct mapchick.. since mapping is her profession, but Isla Mujeres Palace is more than a mile from Garrafon. IMP has a swimmable sandy beach, but it's not the best on Isla. No reef per se, but perhaps you would see fish if you snorkel around their pier.

ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Palace anywhere near Garrafon?

I should have said WELL over a mile... more than 1.5 miles, I'd say. But your family could still drop you there on the way, I guess.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Palace anywhere near Garrafon?

Germonds, is it on a direct route? would you pass IM Palace en route to Garrafon or pass garaffon first en route to IM Palace. Thanks for your help.

ny
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Palace anywhere near Garrafon?

Yes, just go out the Isla Palace entrance and turn right. Garrafon (both the all-day water park and the less expensive hotel) are down that same road.. going south. If you are coming from "downtown"... just take the main road south out of town from the passenger ferry... and keep bearing right. (If you pass Boxito plumbing supply you made a wrong turn. Go back to the previous intersection and take the other fork.) Bear right again at Hacienda Mundaca. This puts you into the little traffic circle with the statue of Ramon Bravo, the diver, in the center. The entrance to Isla Palace is on the traffic circle. Follow directions above to Garrafon.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Palace anywhere near Garrafon?

Thanks for the directions and great advice XXX

8. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Palace anywhere near Garrafon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, September 28, 2009