We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a handful of I.M. questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, TX
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
a handful of I.M. questions

Good afternoon, all.

Here are a couple of general Isla questions I'd like to throw out to those who know:

1. understanding that all areas have their plusses & minuses, which area of the island do you recommend for lodging & why.

2. is there a pescadoria on the island?

3. best place(s) to stock up on fresh produce? items grown locally - avocados, for instance?

4. favorite golf cart rental agency?

5. favorite seafood restaurant? any place specialize in lobster (hey, it's our 25th anniversary!)

6. favorite italian restaurant? (I know this has been covered & recovered but wondering what's the current fav)

7. best island message/info board?

Thanks for any & all information & will post a report & photos when we return next month.

Cindy in SA

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: a handful of I.M. questions

1. In the summer I prefer the eastern Caribbean waterfront; it's cooler because of the prevailing breeze. But anywhere ON DIRECT WATERFRONT is beautiful. Why go to an island and stay inland?

2. No, but you can buy direct from fishermen on the harborfront downtown... go down late morning and watch the little boats come in.

3. Mercado Publico on Guerrero. Quantity of produce is greater at the Super Express, but quality may be spotty. Whatever they put out at the individual stalls at the public market will look good.

4. El Sol on Juarez.

5. All the seafood places are good. For your anniversary lobster, go to Casa Rolandi (the hotel) or Casa O's. Great views at either.

6. Pizza Rolandi ... on Hidalgo in town . Or its more upscale cousin Casa Rolandi at the Hotel Villa Rolandi on Sac Bajo.

7. www.islamujeres.info

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,415 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: a handful of I.M. questions

Hi Cindy,

If it is your first trip it might be better to stay on or near Playa Norte, which is close to many shops and restaurants as well as bank and cambios, ferry, etc. We'll be 5 nights in Isla in two weeks, and this is our fifth trip, and only now are we staying south part of the time.

We rent from Ciro's but El Sol also has a very good reputation.

Best restaurant on the island is hands down Casa Rolandi in Hotel Villa Rolandi, we always eat here our last night on the island. They have the best Italian. You could get lobster here, it is a more upscale place, but Cocteleria Picus usually has it (it is out of season when you are going so it will be frozen), a more casual place on Rueda Medina just down from the ferry, with a nice view of the waterfront and marina. Plastic tables though, so if you want to really celebrate you might want somewhere more upscale.

Chatelaine has answered all your other questions. Hope this helps.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,953 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a handful of I.M. questions

The posters answered all your other questions, I just thought I would add Color de Verano for your special dessert! :)

4. Re: a handful of I.M. questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, September 28, 2009