We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware - Tony's Snorkel Tour

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Beware - Tony's Snorkel Tour

Captain Tony at Isla Mujeres

Before you pay for a Snorkel Tour with Captain Tony, be very clear on what you are getting!!

We paid for his advertised trip which was to include snorkeling at the Lighthouse, Saco Bajo, and Marchone's Reef (which we were particularly interested in). On the date we had planned, Tony was taking a trip to Contoy, but told us he had arranged for someone else to take out tour. We were handed off to one of the other boaters who took us (along with some others of his customers) to the Lighthouse and Saco Bajo, and then to the "Swim With the Sharks", where we were told we would stay for 1 1/2 hours while the others on the boat had lunch (part of their package, and then a return to home - NO MARCHONE'S REEF!!

Not wanting to hang around for 1 1/2 hours, we took a cab back to the village, very disappointed in our trip.

That evening we called on Captain Tony to express our disappointment. He was apologetic and offered some excuses on how he had been too busy that morning to check on arrangements, but would not give us any refund on our trip. We were surprised that he would not stand behind what he had offered as his advertised trip.

Captain Tony seems to have a good reputation for the trips he takes, but if you get handed off to someone else, be aware - be very aware. Ask lots of very specific questions first and don't assume anything!!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware - Tony's Snorkel Tour

Thank you for your post, Captain Tony is a friend and a fantastic captain. I do see why you would be upset.I am very sorry for your experience,

This is good for people to know, not all captains take their snorkel tours to the same places, so if Tony cannot take you, re-schedule with him for another day, or ask if the other captain goes to the same places.

He probably should have refunded you, and if he had, it would have come from his pocket because he already gave your money to the other captain, he didn't make any money from you. He was just trying to be helpful and make sure you got to go snorkeling. I know that's the way he saw it, he wasn't trying to do anything shady to you.

If you could look at it that way, maybe you wouldn't be so angry.

I hope the rest of your trip was better for you, and if you go back to Isla, give Tony another chance.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware - Tony's Snorkel Tour

Did Captain Tony actually tell you he was going to Marchone's Reef that day?

More importantly did the new boater tell you that he was going to Marchone's Reef that day?

Or did you yourself not ask 'very specific questions' and assume you were going to Marchone's Reef because you read it off his board?

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware - Tony's Snorkel Tour

charsuipork, I think this is the point the poster is trying to get across, that they should have asked more questions, and not to assume these things.

Good point about Manchones, water conditions out there may not have been good that day. I've been there and you wouldn't want to be there if the conditions weren't good.

Good captains won't take you there if there is danger or if everyone on the tour will be seasick.

I'm not saying that this is what happened,it's just a thought.

4. Re: Beware - Tony's Snorkel Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, September 23, 2009