We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on where to stay - single female

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York, NY
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Topic
Advice on where to stay - single female

I would love to visit Isla Mujeres but I'm a little worried traveling there alone. I am a single female in her early 50's - love the beach, exercising, meeting new people, of course eating. Prefer comfortable rather than rustic places to stay. Any suggestions on hotels, restaurants -(eating alone) and travel would be greatly appreciated!

Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Advice on where to stay - single female

I didn't say Ixchel was the only comfortable option on the island.......I said it was the only UPSCALE option within walking distance to town and Playa Norte. I wouldn't characterize MOST of those you mentioned as UPSCALE!

Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Advice on where to stay - single female

Groomie,

My husband and I have stayed at Na Balam (on the north end of Playa Norte) twice and have loved it. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it. Its prices run about $200/night, I think. It's not super fancy but it's very nice and serene. It's easy walking distance to town even though it's the furthest north. I've felt totally safe making that walk after dark by myself. The employees at Na Balam are wonderful, the restaurant (Zazil Ha) is high-end by Isla standards, and there's also have a beachfront bar/grill that serves excellent breakfast & lunch, at tables or on the beach. There's a pool, but it's across the street from the beach - the hotel is split in two by a road. Sounds weird but really isn't a big deal. We stayed beachside both times and never used the pool. Oh, and you said you're into yoga: Na Balam hosts yoga retreats all the time and has a beautiful elevated palapa for yoga practice.

I'm actually headed back to Isla in April without husband but with our 3 year old son. This is more of a budget trip for us so we're staying at the "quaint" Villa Kiin, which is literally next door to Na Balam, which is the main reason I booked it. My point is, I'll be "alone" in terms of any sort of protection, and I'm not at all concerned about safety.

Have a wonderful trip!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Advice on where to stay - single female

thank you mvmk for information. i will check out their website - and thanks for safety info as well. enjoy your visit!

Sydney!
Level Contributor
114 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advice on where to stay - single female

I Really like playa la media luna - we got a king room and it was great - nice pool & short walk to beach and downtown too!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Advice on where to stay - single female

As a single female in her 30's, I enjoyed Cabanas Maria del Mar at the poolside. They have a choice of 3 different buildings, and this was the most affordable. In hindsight, the hotel had hard beds and mosquitos from a leaky and noisy a/c unit, but the location was fabulous - right on the beach and walking distnce to everything in town. There is also a little b&b, further in town that has yoga classes and fantastic breakfast food! The name escapes me at the moment, but if you go to the Isla website that folks have directed you to and ask on their boards for more info, you will be fine. Also, Seahawk Dive has nice rooms for cheap, it is across the street from Cabanas Maria del Mar. They also arrange snorkel and dive trips, through which I met a nice travel companion for the weekend. Na Balam and Playa Media Luna are 2 other places I would stay at if I were to go back again and could afford them. Have fun and let us know how your trip goes!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Advice on where to stay - single female

The little breakfast & yoga place is called "Elements of the Island" They also have lodging accommodations as well: www.elementsoftheisland.com

New York, NY
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Advice on where to stay - single female

thanks for all your info!!!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Advice on where to stay - single female

Elements of the Island

La Sirena B&B

Los Arcos

Check out these 3, they are in good walkign distance to the beach and restaurants.

I went solo to Isla last year for the first time, and always felt safe, just use normal caution like anywhere else.

19. Re: Advice on where to stay - single female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, September 22, 2009